Carnival Ride

art by: @akeiise on tumblr

Part 2 to Uh Oh Spaghettio
————
Zak stared up at the tall, sparkly wheel with a frown. "You really want this to be our last ride of the night?" He asked Darryl, continuing to stare up at the Ferris Wheel.

"Yep!" Darryl exclaimed, grabbing Zak's arm and rushing to the back of the line. Zak rolled his eyes with a smile.

Almost immediately they boarded the ride, sitting down beside each other. Darryl squealed happy like a little kid. "Zak! Trust me. The view is beautiful!" Zak giggled in return. They sat in silence, simply admiring the view of the breathtaking stars above.

They were on there second loop now. Darryl sighed contently with a big smile plastered across his face. He searched the sky for constellations he couldn't remember the names of.

Zak stared at him, admiring his simple perfection rather that the hot gas millions of miles away.

Then, the ride stopped. Both of their content faces slowly morphed into confusion as the seconds passed.

Zak stared over the edge, finding they were at the very top. "Did the ride end already? That seemed a little short." He nervously laughed, looking to Darryl.

"It did..." He replied, slight worry apparent on his face. "You don't think..."

"I doubt it." Zak smiled reassuringly, not letting Darryl finish his thought.

Minutes passed as they waited to move again. Darryl peered over the edge again to notice the bottom containers had been emptied, and a small crowd had formed. He gulped nervously. "Zak, I really think we are stuck up here."

Zak laughed. "How did we get lucky enough to be a the highest point?"

When Darryl didn't react, Zak felt his gut twist again. "Of course I had to go and ruin this night too." He thought, gloomily. Darryl looked over at him, noticing his disappointed expression.

"Hey! Don't worry. You didn't plan this, right?" He tried to reassure, scooting a bit closer to his friend.

Zak smiled lightly in return.

"Well, we should talk to pass the time! Who knows how long we will be here." Darryl smiled.

"You could make this event into one of your little story telling videos!" Zak chimed, joining Darryl as they tried to make light of the situation.

The conversed for about thirty minutes, laughing with each other loudly, before an intercom voice came from under them. "We are having technical difficulties with the ride. The fire department has been notified, but will not arrive for another 30 minutes. We apologize for the inconvenience, and your money will be refunded."

The two boys heard groans from the carts below them, but they decided to laugh it off instead. As of right now, they were simply just enjoying each other's company.

They had scooted close enough to each other where their knees were touching side by side.

Darryl smiled, scanning over Zak's features.

"What?" Zak laughed. "Is there something on my face?"

"N-no! Sorry. Just lost in thought." Darryl mumbled, looking away.

They sat in an awkward silence for a bit before Darryl got the courage to speak up again.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"You just did." Zak smirked, causing Darryl to groan. "I'm just trolling. Go ahead."

"H-how... How do you kiss someone?" He asked, looking at his hands as they shook with nervousness.

Zak widened his eyes at the question. "You've never kissed anyone before?"

"No.. is that bad?" Darryl questioned, looking like a hurt puppy.

"No! No it's not bad at all!" Zak soothed, smiling with furrowed eyebrows. He felt his heart clench at Darryl's sad and embarrassed expression. "There's no real instructions on kissing. You just.. have to feel the moment. The environment... the body language. And just do it. Of course, your first time probably won't be perfect, but..." he swallowed, feeling awkward. "You just have to go with your gut and do it." He smiled.

Darryl nodded, looking up at the stars again. Zak followed his lead, and they stared at the sky in silence.

Darryl gulped, and looked down at Zak's face again. He watched the soft smile on Zak's lips as he enjoyed the slight breeze. The lights from other carnival rides highlighted his face in a light blue. It was oddly fitting.

"So," Darryl started, clearing his throat to gain Zak's attention. Zak met his gaze and Darryl felt his stomach flip. "Like this?" He asked, putting his hands on Zak's shoulders and gently leaning into his lips with his eyes closed.

Zak tensed up, surprised by the bold action, and Darryl instantly pulled away.

"Ah, sorry, I don't know-" He rambled, blushing bright red. "That was a bad idea." He put his face in his hands.

Zak giggled. "No, no! I didn't mind." He grabbed Darryl's hands and gently pulled them away from his face. "Do you wanna try again?"

————

author note: Would you guys like to see more angst stuff? I've always written a happy ending I guess, because I prefer writing fluff, but would y'all be interested in reading a sad ending?

Suggestions: