Love That's Hopeful

wallpaper of Bad's handwriting by: @muffinabucket on twitter

part 3 to Love That Kills series

this seems to jump around a lot, sorry! i tried to make it as straightforward as possible, but it may be a little confusing still. understandably, there's going to be major time skips (years), but I also skipped over hours here and there just because the story was so long already. my apologies! <3

⚠️death/blood mention⚠️
————

14 years later. A New Life.

•Zak•

Downtown Florida was nicer than Zak had expected. It felt familiar to him, almost like a home he was returning to after being away a long time.

Of course, he had never been to downtown Florida, though.

His family had just moved there, and today had been his first day at his new school.

Presently, he was walking back home after his last class ended. He got a little turned around and ended up in front of a warm, friendly-looking diner.

He pressed his face against the glass, peering inside for a moment. The customers seemed happy as they chatted away, unaware of Zak's presence. The kid pushed himself off the glass and strolled on with a happy smile.

He stopped, suddenly very cold. Looking around him his eyes caught an empty alleyway.

Curiously, he stepped into it but regretted it instantly. The area made him feel sick. "Something bad happened here."

Then there was pain against his throat, and in several other areas of his body, as if he had been beaten up all at once.

His eyes watered up and he started backing out of the alleyway.

"Mow?"

Zak looked around, the pain went all of a sudden. His eyes landed on a black and white green-eyed cat. It looked familiar to him; like he had a similar cat when he was younger. He couldn't remember, though,

"Awww!" He bent down to pick it up, forgetting all the pain he had just been through. At the young age of 14, Zak seemed to get easily distracted by things.

As he reached out to the cat, it quickly trotted a few feet away. Once it distanced itself, it stopped to gaze back at him, practically teasing him.

Zak smiled mischievously, standing up to chase after the cat. "Oh, I'll get you!" He giggled.

He didn't know where it was leading him, but he was not going to let it go without petting it at least.

They came upon an old looking park near a fancy building. As Zak scanned the building over, he realized it was a school. "A college, maybe." He thought.

He brought his attention back to the park, noticing it looked sad and lonely. The swings squeaked measly in the light wind like they were confirming his thoughts.

Zak shivered, feeling the cold feeling from the alleyway come back to him.

Instantly, there was more pain. He tried to scream, but nothing came out of his mouth besides choked sobs, like there was something wrong with his throat. He felt like he couldn't breathe anymore.

A few tears rolled down his cheek softly as he looked around, wide-eyed and mouth agape.

"Mrooow!"

At the cat's meow, the pain stopped. Zak sniffled, wiping at his eyes. "W-what's going on, k-kitty?"

The cat purred as it rubbed its body against Zak's leg. The action gave him a strange sense of deja-vu.