Let's Stick Together

Prompt: Covid-19 Apocalypse AU
Word Count: 3208
art by: @Silver09660247 on twitter
If you are uncomfortable with reading about Covid-19 or the idea of the world going into complete chaos because of it, don't read this one!! <3
//coronavirus mention

War is always a part of our world, even if we aren't really aware of it. It wouldn't have surprised Zak if the Virus was created by a country out of hatred to hurt another country. That was common speculation amongst people nowadays.

No one could have expected the virus to get this out of hand. They weren't even really sure how it had happened or started. Everything was a joke until more and more people started getting sick. Stores started selling out, businesses closed and people were sent home, unable to make money. Eventually, the government started issuing small amounts of cash to people so they could afford to buy goods.

Giving out money took a toll on the economy, and people started going crazy.

Eventually, the money had lost its value, and people were trading objects instead. Toilet paper for clothes, medical masks for water, anything anyone needed they would trade for.

After all, money was just dirty paper that carried the infection. Who would want to hold onto that?

Zak shivered, making his way to a trade meeting point. A group of people in white hazmat-like suits would bring truckloads of food for us to have portions of, but if we wanted more we had to trade for it. Since money couldn't help us, the government did the best they could by bringing supplies into towns.

Zak didn't have a family or anyone around to support him, so he was left to fend for himself. He had been making these trips for weeks now, but they didn't give enough food out for him to stock up on. It was mostly water and toilet paper. They used to bring more food, sometimes even medical supplies, but now that stuff was rare from them now. Sometimes Zak got so hungry he debated traveling to another town in hopes, but deep down he knew he couldn't make that journey.

He was trapped. However, when things went crazy at the start, Zak thought it best to scavenge for medicine, bandages, cloth, and anything that could be potentially useful to him since they were fighting a virus after all.

Unfortunately, that left him weaponless and hungry. An easy target for anyone to take down.

He knew he was weak and skinny, but he had hoped that the bagginess of his dusty blue hoodie would hide that from the rest of the world.

Upon arriving at the meeting point, he hung back in the shadows, waiting for any seriously threatening looking people to take what they wanted and leave. Several minutes passed and they were all still hanging around. A nervous aura overtook him when he realized there were numerous more people around than normal, and they all looked desperate enough to kill.

He touched his face to double-check if his face mask was still on. It was a necessary precaution everyone took, but Zak wasn't sure how much it would really help.

He didn't know why there were so many more people than normal, but he definitely wasn't going to ask. He gulped, looking at the supply truck with worry. It was emptying fast.

"I die now trying, or I starve later," Zak decided, getting up to make his way to the truck. Taller males with guns and various other weapons glared him down, eyeing him carefully as he stood in line for canned goods. He clutched the straps of his backpack awkwardly, shrinking in on himself while studying his dirty shoes. The summer sun beat down on him quickly and he put his hood up, hoping to find a bit of relief in the shade.

The only weapon he had was a hammer at home, and he doubted it could withstand any weapon from one of these guys. That's why he thought it best to take the passive approach and come completely unarmed, hoping they would just ignore him.