Dinner Date

art by: @pokabos on twitter

Part 2 to (Costume Party)
————

Days had passed since Halloween, and neither boy had spoken about the "date" they were supposed to go on. Zak never brought it up to Darryl, and he didn't seem to mind. The last thing he wanted to do was make his friend uncomfortable by pressuring him, so Darryl kept his mouth shut too.

Their friendship remained the same over the past days.

At least, up until now.

Darryl was on the living room couch watching TV when Zak busted in through the front door with an excited expression.

"You and I are going on that date tonight. Also, I got movie tickets."

Darryl blinked at him. "What movie?"

"Frozen 2."

"Are you serious?" Darryl couldn't help the small laugh that escaped his lips.

"Yes, dude!" The small boy went over to the couch and sat down. He unlocked his phone and shoved it in Darryl's face. "I already purchased the tickets and everything!"

Darryl pushed the phone away a bit to see the screen. "Hold it still, fatty, you're shaking too much." He grabbed Zak's hand to steady it.

Zak's face tinted a bit. "So you'll go with me?"

"Yeah! I mean, you already bought the tickets. It's too late to say no." Darryl smiled, releasing Zak's hand.

"I talked to Jacob about the time and place for dinner. I'll let you know when he gets back to me."

"Jacob?"

"Zelkam."

"Oooooo." Darryl hummed in thought and Zak giggled.

When the two boys arrived at the location, it was much fancier than either had expected.

Darryl wore a nice turtle neck and Zak wore a long-sleeve button-up, but both still felt underdressed.

It was weird for Zak to wear something that wasn't his blue hoodie. He almost felt naked.

"Hey, guys!" Jacob greeted them as they entered the restaurant. He had a devious look on his face that made Zak and Darryl equally more nervous than before.

"Glad you could make it! As promised, dinner is completely free—There's only one condition," Jacob paused, his eyes shining, "You both have to pretend you're dating."

When cricket sounds and blank stares replied to him, he nervously kept speaking. "Y-you know. You guys have to hold hands and stuff!"

Darryl continued staring, a confused expression painted on his face.

"WHAT!" Zak exclaimed, "Are you kidding?"

Jacob laughed, shaking his head no. Zak looked to Darryl with a sour expression.

"Fine!" He yelled, "We're already here, Darryl; let's just do it."

Darryl tore his eyes away from Jacob in favor of looking at the blushing mess Zak was. He gave the small red tomato man a smile, but it only seemed to make him redder.

"Okay, muffin. Let's do it." Darryl gulped and shakily slid his hand into Zak's, interlocking their fingers. The touch seemed to burn his skin. In a good way, at least. They had made skin contact before, but now it felt different.

It felt electric.

Zak squeezed his hand. "I'm only doing this for the food." He grumbled, looking away.

Darryl felt his heart twinge but told himself he was only there for the exact same reason. "Why should I be sad about it?"

Jacob squealed at the hand holding. "Let me show you to your table."

Zak wondered how the staff of this place let him run ramped. He then noticed the whole place was empty and figured Jacob must have paid a small fortune to do all this.

The sat down across from each other ina fancy, candlelit booth.

"I would give you two a menu, but it's already been decided what you will be eating!" Jacob giggled and stepped away. "It'll be ready soon!"

Zak sighed, a knot of frustration apparent in his eyebrows. His cheeks were still tinted pink, though, so Darryl thought that was good.

"This is nice. He really did put a lot of effort into everything," Darryl mumbled with wonder in his eyes. He glanced over the white tablecloth and elegant paintings decorating the walls.

"Yeah, whatever. It's nice."

Darryl frowned. "You know, if you're uncomfortable we can still leave."

The small boy sighed. "It's not that. It's just... I would be happy anywhere with you. We could be eating cold pizza on the living room floor in less itchy clothing right now, and I'd still be happy."

Darryl's frown flipped over and he reached across the table to place his hand on top of Zak's. "Then maybe we can have a second date at home."

For a second, Zak seemed happy and hopeful before the idea seemed to vanish in his mind. He let out an airy laugh, almost in doubt.

The older man opened his mouth to speak again, but before he could say anything, Jacob was in front of them with a big plate covered by a fancy rimmed silver dish. He lifted the lid excitedly, revealing a stunning plate of spaghetti.

To Zak and Darryl's surprise, it was set down in front of both of them.

"Just one plate?" Zak questioned, picking up a fork to poke at the glorious noodles.

"Don't be stingy, it's free!" Jacob scoffed and left them to their dinner.

"This is the strangest date I have ever been on." Darryl giggled nervously.

"I know! Same." Zak laughed back and the air seemed a little less awkward. He decided to give the fancy pasta a shot and took a bite out of it. Immediately, his face seemed to turn green and he made the expression of pure disgust.

Darryl widened his eyes. "Does it not taste good?"

Zak forced himself to swallow. "Nah dude, it tastes great," he smiled, "You should try some."

Suspiciously, Darryl picked up his fork and swirled some noodles onto it. Upon putting it into his mouth, he immediately picked up his napkin and coughed it all out.

Zak laughed loudly as Darryl spastically grabbed his drink and chugged it.

When it was empty, he glared at his partner. "Skeppy!! Why would you make me do that! It was terrible!" He whined.

Zak smiled, letting his chin fall into his palm as he stared across the table at his friend. He noticed whenever Zak did any kind of troll, regardless if it was in Minecraft or real life, Darryl referred to him as "Skeppy."

Zak thought it was kind of cute.

"Dude, let's dip and go eat that pizza," Zak smirked. "And then we can go see the movie. What do ya say? Or are you too chicken to date me."

Darryl stood up immediately, a blush across his face. "I am not too chicken! Let's go, fatty!" He took Zak's hand in his own and together they snuck out of the building, leaving the terrible spaghetti to be alone.

Through it wasn't a great date, it had somehow brought them closer together, and perhaps sparked up something more than just friendship.

Alas, uh oh spaghetti-o. We will never know.

————
happy 40th chapter :D sorry I've been gone awhile.
I was writing another chapter but saw people wanted a part two for the last one so it slowed me down a bit haha.

<3 forty chapters is a lot! thanks for the support all the way through these chapters.