Epilogue: Love That Kills

They had been trying to make this work for a few months now. Deciding to share an apartment so soon probably wasn't the smartest decision, but Zak wanted to fully trust Darryl. He wanted to love him without any fear or worry.

After everything they had been through, he thought they both deserved to be happy.

The cold chilly feeling he felt whenever he looked into Darryl's bright green eyes hadn't been shaken yet, but it was definitely going away.

He had noticed Darryl's eyes turning softer and softer as the days passed, which helped a lot.

The two boys had even tried going on a date! It was super awkward and uncomfortable, but also a great step of progress in their relationship.

Zak heard the front door of their apartment being unlocked and his gut filled with unease. He hadn't seen Darryl all day, which was unusual since he was always home in the morning, but he tried to tell his gut not to worry.

The front door opened and Darryl strolled in with a happy-go-lucky smile, soothing Zak's almost racing heart a bit.

"Hey, Zak! Sorry I was gone today; I was out shopping!" He lifted up the bags in his hands to show Zak before walking over to the kitchen table to set them all down.

Zak stood up, ignoring his gut, and walked over to Darryl and the bags. He cleared his throat. "What did you get?"

Darryl's eyes lit up. They seemed to sparkle deviously. "I actually got something for you!"

Zak gulped. "Y-yeah? What is it..?"

Darryl scanned all the items for one specific bag. When they landed on it, he made an "ah-ha" sound and pulled it towards him. "Close your eyes," he commanded to Zak.

Zak stared into Darryl's eyes for a moment, trying to reassure himself, but it didn't help. He gave a big sigh and closed his eyes tight, hoping Darryl was okay and wouldn't reset all the progress they had made so far.

Darryl shuffled the bag around as Zak waited in anticipation for something utterly devastating to happen.

He imagined all the pain he had been through in the past starting over again. Perhaps Darryl had decided he didn't like Zak, and he would slice the boys throat open right now in order to get rid of him.

"Am I not good enough?" Zak felt his heart ache. He started to prepare himself for the worst.

"Okay. Open them," Darryl giggled.

Zak peeked his eyes open to see two light blue pajama sets.

"What... are these?" He reached out to touch one, feeling its softness. This wasn't quite what he had expected.

"Footy pajamas! Now we can match!" Darryl giggled. "Look, they have little muffins on them!"

Zak looked closely to see that they indeed did have tiny muffin prints on them.

It was quiet for a moment before Zak's laughter nearly broke the sound barrier. "Dude, you're kidding if you think I'm going to wear this!"

When he saw Darryl's hurt expression he stopped laughing immediately and took one of the pajama sets out of Darryl's hand.

"I'll be right back," Zak mumbled, heading to his bedroom to change.

And all the anxiety in his gut was replaced by a warmer, more hopeful feeling. He started to feel like him and Darryl could actually work.

Maybe happy endings were real after all.