Chapter 8

Friday 18th January 1963

So, tonight Lyndon and Ladybird are holding a party to mark the second anniversary of the Inauguration. Apart from that the Johnson’s are holding it, it could be boring so maybe a lot of alcohol will be in order, but then again I have to protect Jacqueline.

Jack was sitting on the sofa in the Johnson’s lounge as guests mingled and chatted. He was already on his second beer. It was just passed eleven but no one seemed to be leaving. He was playing with his beer bottle when Jackie carefully sat down beside him. “Hey kid.” He smiled.

“Hey.” She yawned.

“Are you enjoying yourself?”

She looked at him. “Maybe now I’m not surrounded by politicians.”

He laughed. “I’m hiding.”

“I gathered.”

She rested her head on his shoulder. “Lyndon asked me why I wasn’t drinking wine; I lied and said I was on medication.”

He rubbed her back. “Good excuse.”

It was just after 2am when the First Couple headed back to the White House. “I learned something tonight.”

“What is it?” She asked playing with his hair.

“That Lyndon is a much nicer and funnier person with a drink inside him….did I really just say that? Maybe I’m drunk…”

Jackie laughed. “Bunny.”

He smiled and closed his eyes. He was exhausted.

Tonight was surprisingly fun but I’m still convinced I’ve had too much to drink; I guess I’ll have a headache tomorrow. Let’s blame Lyndon as usual.