Chapter 19

Wednesday 26th June 1963

I’m back home, in the land of my ancestors. It’s strange, I wish Jackie and the children were here with me, I feel alone.

Jack looked around his family homestead. Jean was at his side. “I can’t believe this is where we originated.”

He laughed. “I know, it’s very nice.”

“Are you taking photos for Jackie?”

He looked at her. “Jackie gave Lee the camera, she said, and I quote, ‘Jack can’t take a decent picture of a still life.’”

She giggled. “It’s very true though, you aren’t a good photographer.”

“Stop teasing me!”

“Aww, you’re my brother.”

“Jean!” He exclaimed. “Stop being a pain, you’re like Bobby and Ted. Maybe it has something to do with being young.”

She nodded. “You love me really.”

“Of course.” He grinned putting an arm around her. “You’re my little sister.”

As they looked around the homestead, Jack felt slightly emotional, especially with the traditional folk music and food. He felt at home. He suddenly got an idea; he wanted this baby to represent his and Jackie’s heritage. Patrick, he thought. After the Saint and just a traditional Irish name. He smiled.

“Did you enjoy your visit?” Jack’s cousin Mary asked.

Jack smiled. “I did, I just wish my wife could have been here with me. I’ll return in the spring time with the whole family.”

Mary hugged him.

Kenny and Dave exchanged glances. “I think they’ve broke Jack Kennedy.”

Jack glared at his friends. “They have not.”

No one noticed a bigger change in Jack more than Jean; he seemed happy, different, and more family orientated.

Ireland brought me home. I’m bringing Jackie and the kids next spring. I love it here, it’s my home. I want Jackie to experience it.