Chapter 26

Saturday 9th November 1963

So Jackie agreed to go to Texas with me, I’m happy about that. It won’t be a boring trip now. We’re spending the weekend at our new home, I know it cost a lot but I must admit it is quite relaxing and peaceful.

Jack was sitting playing with John on the grass as Jackie and Caroline went riding. “See we’re alike, both allergic to horses.”

John giggled. “Let’s play choppers.”

Jack smiled and made the noise of a helicopter. John jumped up and ran around. “Ha-ha Daddy!” John exclaimed.

Jack was happy.

Jackie and Caroline returned. “Hey.” Jackie smiled. John ran to Caroline, they started playing hide and seek.

“Hey.” Jack replied getting up. “Did you enjoy your ride?”

She grinned. “It was fun.”

Jack put an arm around her. “Are you looking forward to Texas?”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m going to keep you company, and save you from Lyndon at his ranch.”

He laughed. “You know me too well.”

Jackie kissed him.  “You have to do something for me.”

“What?”

“I want to try for another baby; neither of us are getting any younger.”

He looked at her stunned. “Only if you feel ready.”

“I do.” She smiled.

Jack stroked her back. “Okay.”

That night Jack, Jackie, Caroline and John were lying cuddled together on the sofa watching the TV. It was a quiet night which everyone enjoyed. After putting the children to bed Jackie sat down beside her husband. “Jack?”

“Hmmm?” He asked half asleep.

“I know next year will be busy and we’ll be apart a lot of the time, but we will have a baby.”

Jack turned to look at her, trying to ease his back. “I know we will kid, I will make sure of that.”

She giggled and cuddled into him. She couldn’t believe how much he’d changed since becoming President.

I love our new house, Jackie really out did herself. I hope we can find the time with each other to have a child next year. I want to make her happy. I’m dreading Texas, especially after what they did to Adlai.