Chapter 14: Some Things Can be Conveyed Without Words

I crept out of the boy's bathroom, just to make sure Kitozawa wasn't hiding around the corner waiting for me. Once the coast was clear, I ran to my locker, grabbed my books, and sprinted back to my class just before the last student arrived. (He was called in late, btw. RIP last student.)
   I couldn't focus all class, I kept nibbling on the end of my pencil and thinking about Kitozawa.
   "Mr. Takahashi, do you mind repeating the last paragraph of what I just read?" Sensei asked, his hands on his hips.
   "Oh, sure thing Sensei." I said, straightening up in my seat. "I uh, don't really remember. Could you say it again so I can repeat it correctly?"
   Everyone started laughing, it made me a little nervous.
   "Huh? What's so funny?" I said, looking around.
   "Takahashi, would you please go wait for me in the office? I'll meet you there in a bit." Sensei said, giving me a foul smirk before continuing to teach the rest of the class.

                      ~After Class~

   "-you disrupted the class with your rude joke and bla bla bla..." there was a knock at the door, and I turned to see who it was.
   "Ah, Kitozawa. So glad you could stop by, what do you need?" Sensei said, directing his attention to the boy in the doorway.
   I hung my head, I didn't want Kitozawa to recognize me nor did I want to see him right now.
   "I'm here to cash in a favor, I take my roommate, who you're currently scolding, without any resistance as payment for my excellence in your class for the past year." He said, turning his gaze down at me. I could feel his glare burning into my back as I slouched over even lower.
   "Alright, take him. I owe you, anyway." Sensei said, sitting back and watching Kitozawa grab me by the back of my hoodie and drag me out of his office.
   He let go of my shirt and we walked in silence back to his car. I sat in the passenger seat and bent forward, hiding my face with my hair.
   "How old are you?" He asked, when he shut his door.
   "I'm 16, you already know that." I replied, still bent over.
   "I meant in terms of mental age, what are you 5? You weren't even paying attention during class, was that because of me?" I didn't respond, so he grabbed the rim of my hoodie and pulled me up to his face where he could see my expression.
   "Are you going to force yourself on me like Hayato?" I said, my eyes puffy and starting to well up with tears. I looked into his eyes, they were round, scared I think. He let go of my hoodie, turning back to the steering wheel.
   "No," he said. "I'm not going to." I turned back to the window on my left.
   "That look..." he began, his voice starting to tremble. "This is my fault, I shouldn't have..." his voice trailed off.
   "I'm sorry." Was the last thing he said to me for the next 10 hours.
   When we got back to the apartment, Kitozawa left 5 minutes after arriving without a word to me.

                 ~2 am, Tokyo time~

   I woke up to the sound of the door unlocking, It must've been Kitozawa coming home from wherever he went after we got back from school. I crept downstairs, and saw Kitozawa past out on the couch.
   I bent over the back of the couch, Kitozawa's eyes were puffy and his breath stank of alcohol. That wasn't a good sign, he was most likely drunk and would wake up with a massive hangover in the morning. Good thing it was Saturday I guess.
   I left a glass of water for him on the coffee table and went back up to my room after putting a blanket over Kitozawa.

                   ~In the Morning~

   I awoke the next morning to the smell of something burning, I immediately threw off the covers and ran downstairs.
   "I told you to leave the cooking to me, now go back to sleep, you're hung over." I said, lightly pushing him aside and safely away from the stove. By the looks of it he was trying to make French toast, but it was burnt to a crisp and there was way too much oil in the pan.
   I pulled out a fresh piece of bread, dipped it in the wheat batter, and laid it in the pan after wiping most of the oil off it.
   "Sorry." Kitozawa said, sitting on one of the bar stools.
   "For trying to deep fry a piece of charcoal, or for yesterday?" I asked, keeping my voice as monotone as possible.
   "For both." He said, keeping his gaze focused on the marble countertop.
   "Well, the only thing you should be sorry for is leaving for 10 hours and coming back drunk. I was worried you had gotten into a car accident or something." I said, in an annoyed tone. "You're under age, and don't even bother telling me why you were crying. What you do in your private life isn't by business, but you make it my business when you do stupid stuff like the shit you pulled last night."
   Kitozawa sat there, his head hung low. But then he lifted it ever so slightly just to look at me.
   "You're doing it." He said, as I turned to glare at him.
   "Doing what?" I asked, putting down the spatula and turning my full attention towards Kitozawa.
   "The hairy eyeball." He said, and burst out laughing. I couldn't help but let out a giggle, it's almost like Kitozawa's laughter is contagious. As much as I wanted to hide it, it was impossible.
   Part of me knew what he was going to ask next, I could tell by the look in his eyes that his mind was still on the subject.
   "You still haven't told me the truth yet." He said, sitting up straight and looking me right into the eyes. I knew that was how he deciphered when someone told the truth or a lie.
   I wanted to look away, to turn my head and focus on what was ahead of me but I couldn't. My head became filled with him, and I lost all sense of reason that had ever crossed my mind.
   Kitozawa gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me in close, until finally, his soft lips were on mine.