Chapter 13: Death Glare

"Sumi, are you alright?" Kitozawa asked, waving his hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my trans, looking over at him.
   "Y-yeah... I'm just a little tired, that's all." I said, stacking our plates and putting them into the sink to clean later. Kitozawa leaned over me and flipped me around, looking directly into my eyes.
   "Are you sure you're alright? You look really pale, Sumi." He asked, as I backed up against the sink.
   "We should g-get going now, or we'll be late for first period." I said, lowering my gaze and ducking out from under his arms. 'That was too close.' I thought, grabbing my bag off the coat hanger by the door and slipping on my navy sneakers.
   "If you don't hurry the hell up I'm gonna leave without you and get lost somewhere you'll never find me again." I called down the hall to make sure he heard me.
   "Okay, okay, I'm coming! Geez." Kitozawa hurried over, slipping on his shoes and grabbing his satchel.
   "Let's go." He said, practically shoving me out the door.
   "Wait, my-" Kitozawa pulled my hood over my head, shoved my tail in my pants, then dragged me over to the elevator.
   My entire face turned pink, HE. JUST. SHOVED. MY. TAIL. DOWN. MY. PANTS.
   "Sumi? You're face is really flushed, do you have a fever?" Kitozawa said, putting his hand over my forehead.
   "Jesus Sumi! You could fry and egg on that! I'm calling you in sick-"
   "N-n-no! H-honestly Kitozawa, I-I'm fine!" I covered my face with my hand to hide my blush.
   "Are you just embarrassed?" He asked, giving me a questioning look.
   I heard the elevator ding, and I rushed out. Kitozawa unlocked the car and we got in, but he didn't turn the key when he put it into the ignition.
   "Well?" He said, "I'm not going to start this car until you give me an answer." I furrowed my brows, giving him a seriously unamused look. I knew that if I said I wasn't embarrassed he would call me in sick, but if I said I was embarrassed he might act unpredictably and to be frank, that scared the living shit out of me.
   "I... uh... w-well you see... uh...................... we're gonna be late if you don't drive, baka! So hurry the hell up!" I said, completely avoiding the question.
   "Okay then, I guess we'll continue this conversation later." He said, smirking before turning the key and pulling out of the parking space.
   I wiped the sweat off my forehead, this was going to be an awwwwkward drive.

                           ~Lunch~

   I bought my lunch and sat down at my usual spot, and somehow all the way across the room I spotted Hayato and his buddies giving me a death glare. It reminded me of a saying my mother used to use when referring to a cruel glare, she called it 'the hairy eyeball'.
   I looked away and covered my face to hide my giggle, I didn't want Hayato to think I was laughing at him. Well, I kinda was- but that was besides the point.
   "What's so funny?" I heard a familiar voice behind me.
   "Oh, hi Kitozawa! Sorry, I was just laughing about something I remembered my mother used to say." I said, picking up my sandwich and taking a bite.
   "I'm curious now, what reminded you of that?" He said, plopping down in the seat next to me.
   "I saw Hayato giving me the death glare from across the room and it reminded me of the term my mother used to use for when someone was glaring at her. She called it 'the hairy eyeball'." I said, in a dramatic tone. Kitozawa burst out laughing, and I found myself laughing with him.
   "L-look, he's still doing it!" I said pointing over to Hayato, who looked even more pissed that he saw we were laughing about him. We laughed even harder, at that point I was gasping for breath.
   Finally, after a couple minutes of laughing, we settled down.
   "So, about this morning..." Kitozawa started, I immediately got tense.
   "Well, I wasn't embarrassed BUT as you can see I am not feverish." I said, proud that I could successfully dodge his question.
   "So then why was your face so red?" He asked, shooting me another suspicious look.
   "I... I was thinking about...  A MEME, yes it was a meme. Nothing more than a meme!" I said, a little sweat beading on my forehead.
   "Oh really?" He said, leaning forward. At this point I could feel heat rising off my face and burning my ears.
   "If this morning your face was only pink because you were thinking about a meme, then why is your face pink right now?" Kitozawa said, his gaze burning into my eyes.
   "Uhhh... OH LOOK IT'S HAYATO!" I said, pointing to my left. His gaze didn't waver.
   "Is that a guy wearing a McDonald's kid's meal box as a mask??" I said, pointing out the window. He still didn't budge.
   "Uhhhhhh... the cafeteria lady's doing jello shots behind the counter!" Kitozawa turned his gaze over to the counter for a split second, I tried to make a run for it but he caught my hand and pulled my back into my seat, making me lean halfway over the table.
   Kitozawa's face was barely an inch away from mine, he started to lean in-

   RIIIINNNNGGGGGGGGG!!!

   I took this as my chance to escape.
   "Well, that's the bell! See you later Kitozawa-chan!" I said, sprinting out of the cafeteria and not even bothering to put my tray back.
   Once I had escaped, I leaned back against the tile wall of the boy's restroom and let out a long breath of relief. My face was still pink but remembering what happened in the cafeteria made it turn an even darker shade.
   What was that?!