Chapter 26 - ...And All That Jazz

Love does not care to define and is never in a hurry to do so.

~Charles du Bos

The Concert Recital

At last, the most important event in Forte that season has begun. It took place in the Solaire and was attended by numerous guests: parents and families of the performers, invited friends, music enthusiasts, interested investors, and media people.

Robert, Raffie and Quino were quite exhilarated for the sold-out tickets. President Andrew Chua and the entire Board of the LC Group of Companies were seated on the VIP area, as well as the families of Raffie, Louie, Robert and Quino.

With Jazz Boadway music as the Recital's theme, the presentation began with an explosive mob dance from the students who were initially sitting with their families. This produced a surprising involvement of audience as they swayed to the beat of the music.

They danced Fosse Ensemble's "I Wanna Be a Dancin' Man" as they made their way on the stage. The performers then went to their places in front their rhythm instruments that was followed by Robert's entrance for the orchestra.

As the one holding the conducting baton, he looked extremely stylish in his tuxedo and bow tie, standing very confident in front of the instrumentalists. The Jazz ensemble began to play, led by him, performing "Falling In-love with Love" with Raffie as the powerful singer, made livelier by the graceful little ballerinas which included Janna.

Then Quino with his trombone and Raffie with her guitar, both wearing a color coordinated gold and white outfit, entered the stage, leading several students as they performed "Just in Time" with their brass and string instruments. Their effortless rendition of that jazz music fortified the audience's delight that was quite evident with their smiling, awe-struck faces.

Raffie's students then presented a tap dance with "Anything Goes" as she and Quino sang the song with such a first-rate theatrical impact. It was Quino's first time to sing in front a very large crowd, but Raffie's extraordinary performance made him step-up, causing a standing ovation from the audience at the end of the song and dance.

Overwhelmed at the response of the audience, Quino drew Raffie close to him in a very tight embrace while they were in the middle of the stage, professing his love through action in front of the delighted viewers.

The rest of the recitalists played their pieces through an orchestra conducted by Robert, all in an outstanding medley of jazz songs that he arranged.

But the finale performance, a combination of ballet and orchestra of the jazz version of Idina Menzel's "Let it Go" was beyond expectation. All the recitalists, including their mentors, were on the stage, giving their all as the entire theatre was covered with heartwarming and lively music that was truly sensational.

****************************

Andrew Chua was exceptionally proud of his son, Quino, and granddaughter, Janna, that he invited the staff and recitalists for a dinner fellowship after that big event. Louie and Harvey joined the party, but Carmi and Paeng went home ahead, together with Chona and Arthur.

"Congratulations to us!" Quino exclaimed as he raised his glass for a toast. "More years of working, singing and dancing together with all of you!" It was the first party ever in his life that he truly enjoyed because it was a result of the passion and dreams passed on to him by his mother.

And knowing that he accomplished it with his friend, Robert, and the love of his life, Raffie, Quino couldn't ask for more. His happiness was indescribable.