Chapter 17 (Part 1) - Call the Tune

The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of.

-Blaise Pascal

"Anak, I'll go ahead!" Carmi said as she shot a quick look at Raffie who had just entered the house from her early morning jog around the subdivision.

She was about to kiss her daughter when Raffie leaned away, saying, "Mommy, pawis na pawis po ako, o..."

"Oh my...," Carmi exclaimed as she looked at her daughter's sweaty forehead. "O sya, sige na, I don't want to be late...and by the way, may nagpadala sa'yo ng flowers, pinaakyat ko na lang sa room mo."

Raffie's face lit up suddenly. "Sige po, Mommy. See you later at lunch. Take care," she answered, throwing a couple of flying kisses at her Mom who was in a hurry to leave.

She smiled as she remembered those times when she would send flying kisses at her Dad and Mom. She used to do that when she was still young, whenever she saw Paeng and Carmi proudly watching while she was practicing ballet. Those were the times when life for her was just trouble-free...no complications, no upsetting situations.

'You'll get by, Raffie,' she assured herself as she started to go upstairs and straight to her bedroom, feeling rather eager to see the flowers. 'You always get by.'

As she opened the door, she immediately saw a large bouquet of assorted flowers on top of her bed. She smiled, somehow certain who sent it.

And at that instant, she remembered every little detail that transpired last night. From the time Quino fetched and handed her a bouquet of pink Ecuadorian roses, then drove her to his family's mansion in Valle Verde, and then to the sumptuous dinner they served which surprisingly included some of her favorite dishes, and of course, to the singing and chatting moments with Vivian and Moira.

But her most vivid memory was Quino's midnight serenade via FaceTime which lasted until about one in the morning. She couldn't forget how his song comforted her just at the perfect time.

And somehow, she was able to sleep soundly right after they bid each other good morning.

She took the bouquet and admired the beautiful flowers. A card was attached to it, and she excitedly removed it from its envelop and read -

The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of.

-Blaise Pascal

Happy Valentines Day, Raffie! I'll see you tonight...

Robert

"Si Robert pala..." she muttered, not expecting the flowers to come from the professor. She remembered that he and Harvey will be arriving that afternoon, and she figured that they were still on board a plane. So instead of calling, she just texted him and also sent a direct message on twitter to say her thanks for the flowers.

And as she did so, she saw Helena's message for her. It contained a Facebook account with the name: Tiffany Robins Hughes, and a brief advice with the words: "I'm sorry to give this to you, my friend. But you have to be aware of this. Just check this account ONLY if you're ready."