Chapter 25 - More than Words

"Love is supreme and unconditional.”

Two days before the Recital/Concert, Quino asked Raffie to go on an early drive with him. Although Raffie didn’t know where they were going, she readily agreed because she still haven’t talked to Quino about the offers from Hallmark and the Imperial Repertoir. They were both very busy with their own work and the final practices in Forte for the past days.

“Good morning, Wǒ de ài!” Quino beamed as he saw Raffie open the gate. He leaned to give her a kiss on her cheek and took her small bag and guitar. Then he peeped inside the gate. “Ipagpapaalam muna kita kina Tita Carmi at Tito Rafael…gising na ba sila?”

“Three o’clock pa lang kaya,” Raffie chuckled. “They usually wake up at 7 lalo na pag Saturday. It’s okay, naipagpaalam mo na ako the other day, diba? Mabuti pa nga sila alam nila saan mo ako dadalhin, ako clueless.”

Quino took her hand and said, “Kase nga surprise, diba? Let’s go, para masulit natin yung weekend natin. Mamaya pag balik natin dito sa Manila we’ll be going straight home to rest so we can be ready for our general rehearsal. That’s why we need to unwind first.”

“Hmm, so mag-a-out of town pala tayo…let me guess…Batangas?” Raffie said as she buckled up her seatbelt.

Quino shrugged his shoulders and smiled in a sly manner as he drove off.

“If not in Batangas, then maybe sa Laguna?”

Quino merely shrugged his shoulders again.

“C’mon! Sa Tagaytay ba?” Raffie was starting to sound impatient.

Quino suddenly stopped the car and, to Raffie’s surprise, he pecked on her lips thrice. “Three guesses, three kisses,” he blurted out. “Okay, keep those guesses coming…I’m perfectly ready.”

Raffie rolled her eyes and pinched Quino’s  cheek. “You should be thankful you’re charming enough,” she joked. “Sige na, drive on. I’ll keep my mouth shut and sleep instead.”

Quino drove in silence as Raffie tried to relax and sleep on her seat. But she kept on thinking about bringing the topic about the offers she received last week.

She already told her parents about that and they fully support her because they knew she was really passionate about acting and stage performances. But she wasn’t sure if Quino would share the same opinion.

“Quino,” she began, sitting upright, “Do you remember last week when I had a meeting with someone from the Hallmark channel?

Nodding, “Quino replied, “Yes. That’s exactly the reason why you weren’t with us during our breakfast treat for the kids, right?”

Raffie pouted. “Of all things, yun talaga ang naremember mo?”

Quino quickly leaned towards her and gave her a quick peck on the forehead. “Sensitive ka ata ngayon, Wǒ de ài….Well, let me guess, you got an offer for a project?”

Raffie raised her brow. “How did you know?”

“That’s pretty understandable. She’s from Hallmark channel, a media company. You’re a performer. And a top caliber one at that,” Quino quipped with pride in his voice. “But I’m sure you rejected the offer, right? Mahirap maging malayo sa loved ones, and that’s the very reason why you gave up your career in London in the first place, diba?”

Raffie wanted to interrupt what he was saying. But it was pretty obvious in his statements he didn’t like the idea of her going abroad again.

Deep inside, she was struggling. Part of her wanted to accept the offer because she knew it was just for a few months. A temporary stay abroad. There was such a deep longing to go back to theatre performance even for just a few weeks, and such offers were very tempting.

Besides, her parents already gave their blessings…so how come Quino seemed like he couldn’t do the same?

Maybe if she wasn’t dating him then it wouldn’t be that complicated to make a decision.

She kept quiet during their entire trip on the way until Quino finally said -

“Wǒ de ài, we’re almost there,” Quino announced. “Free yourself from any worries and let’s just enjoy our time here. Will that be okay?” He held her hand and squeezed it.

They arrived in Subic Bay Yacht Club after less than three hours. As they pulled up, they immediately saw the amazing facilities in the resort. He led her towards a parked yacht with the initials RKC on its side. A man who seemed to be in his late 30’s greeted them with a big smile.

“Sir Chua, Ma’am, good morning. This way po…” he said, showing them the way up the big yacht.

Raffie was somehow astounded, clearly not expecting that kind of a trip. Quino was holding her arm while they went inside the fancy-looking yacht. “Did you rent this just for this trip?” she whispered to Quino’s ears.

Quino grinned. “Somebody really close to me lent this yacht for us to use the whole day,” he explained, putting his arm around her shoulders.

“Sino?”

“Kung sino man sila, I assure you, mabait sila at lalong ibe-bless ni Lord kase marunong silang mag-share,” Quino smiled.

“Sir, ito po yung mga staterooms…pupunta po muna ako sa hotel para ipahanda yung breakfast ninyo doon po sa sundeck. After 15-20 minutes pwde na po kayo umakyat doon,” the man said. “Pag gusto nyo na po mamasyal tawagan nyo lang po ako.”

“Sige, salamat po, Kuya Buboy,” Quino said.

“You seem to know the man well…” Raffie observed. “Have you been here before? During another date, perhaps?” She raised her brow in feigned suspicion.

Quino chuckled, his chinito eyes wide with amusement. “Yes and no. Yes, I know Kuya Buboy well, but no, I haven’t been here before. It’s my first time to visit this yacht, and I feel really good since I’m with you.”

He gently piched Raffie’s cheek. “So stop trying to act cute since I’m not falling for it…Take a rest first in your cabin, Wǒ de ài,” he continued as he escorted her along the cabin hallway and stopped in front of a door. And this one on the left side is mine.”

Raffie opened the door of the stateroom and was quite surprised to see a large bouquet of roses on top of the bed. She smiled and faced Quino who was standing beside her. “You never fail to surprise me, Mr. Right,” she drawled, giving him a tight embrace. “I’m so happy to be with you right now.”

Quino held her cheeks and planted a soft kiss on her lips. “Your happiness is my happiness, too, Wǒ de ài,” he said. Then he gently drew back, looked at her straight in the eye and held her hand. “I prepared something very special today. So just rest for a few minutes, and freshen up before we go up the sundeck, okay?”

Raffie nodded and went inside the cabin to unpack, while Quino strode up the sundeck to check how the set-up was done.