Chapter 12 - Whistling in the Dark

If music be the food of love,  play on.
- William Shakespeare

“You did what?” Raymund asked, smirking in amusement when Quino told him about what almost happened to him and Raffie three days ago during Harvey’s party. He joined his brother at the gym on Wednesday night, since he wanted to be sure he will be fit and ready for his forthcoming wedding.

Quino stopped midway in his lateral dumbbell raise exercise. “You heard it, Ahia. And believe it or not, nakokonsensya ako…pero gusto ko yung mga nangyari. Pathetic, right?”

“Pathetic? I don’t think so. At bakit ka ma-kokonsensya eh wala naman kayang nangyari aside sa muntik mo lang syang mahalikan?” Raymund replied. “Pero teka…sigurado ba kayong hindi kayo lasing nun? Alam mo na, mas madaling ma-carried away pag nakainom.”

Quino shook his head. “Medyo naging uninhibited ako…But I wasn’t drunk.”

“Tapatin mo ako, ha. Do you like her?”

Quino was silent.

“You do like her!”

Raymund looked at his brother’s eyes. He was really glad to know that his brother was finally showing that he has eventually moved on. He was actually getting worried that Quino would never get over his past experiences.

He and Moira made numerous attempts in setting up blind dates and introducing young, accomplished ladies to their youngest brother, but all of their efforts were to no avail.

But now, he could see that Quino himself was finally ready to mingle.

Quino sighed.

It took him some time before he finally admitted to himself that what he was feeling for Raffie was more than admiration. He started to feel something for Raffie even before she became part of the music school. But he just insisted on remaining indifferent about it, especially because it was him who took the initiative to tell Robert to put off any kind of lovelife concerns while they were still trying to set up their new project.

To top it all, he found out that she already has a boyfriend.

But then he realized that Raymund was right. He was really equating self-preservation with self-denial.

So finally, he was able to admit that to himself. Yes, he likes Raffie.

Very much.

That’s pretty clear now.

And now, confessing it to his brother was another bolder step for him.

“She is in a relationship. Hindi pwede,” Quino told Raymund.

“What kind of relationship? Engaged na ba? Malay mo naman baka break na pala sila?” Raymund blurted out, laughing. Of course, he wasn’t really serious about what he had just said.

Quino shook his head. “I have no idea. But it’s a long-distance relationship.”

“Long-distance. So she has an absentee boyfriend, huh?” Raymund stated, still chuckling. “Alam mo, hindi pa naman sya kasal, eh…kaya marami pang pwedeng mangyari. You can’t put chains on love, especially one which isn’t bound by marriage yet. Eh kung yung mga kasal na nga naghihiwalay pa rin…Besides, all is fair at love and war, diba, Bro?”