Chapter 15 (Part 2) - While the Music Lasts

You are the music
while the music lasts.
-T.S. Eliot

“Congratulations! This is one of the loveliest weddings I’ve attended!” Raffie exclaimed as she hugged Kate and Raymund right after the photo session in the church. “You both look so charming!”

“Thank you, Raffie! And I must say, pinasaya mo kami sa duet mo kanina with Quino…We can’t wait to hear more from both of you, diba Babe?” Kate said, glancing lovingly at her husband.

“Absolutely!” Raymund seconded. “May natural chemistry talaga kayo ng kapatid ko pagdating sa pagkanta.” Then he flashed a rather meaningful smile as he looked over Raffie’s shoulder.

Raffie felt herself blush at the newly-wed couple’s compliment, but her cheeks reddened even more as she turned to where Raymund was looking at.

It was Quino standing behind her, offering his arm. It was a good thing that both Kate and Raymund didn’t notice her reaction since the couple immediately got engaged in conversation with some other guests.

“Let’s go, Miss Raffie…mauuna na tayo doon sa reception with Achi,” Quino informed her. “Sasabay muna sila sa atin kase may errands pa yata yung driver ni Achi, mamaya pa daw sila masusundo.”

She nodded and placed her hand on Quino’s arm. Moira and Janna met them outside the church.

“Teacher!” Janna called excitedly. She ran to give Raffie a hug.

“You look so charming, Janna!” Raffie said, gently pinching the little girl’s chin.

“Thank you po, teacher!”

As Quino opened the back seat door, Moira told her daughter, “Go inside now, darling.” Then she smiled at Raffie and went on, “Raffie, sa harap ka na, ha.”

“Opo, Ma’am,” Raffie replied obligingly as Quino opened the front passenger seat door for her.

“Raffie, Ate Moira na lang ang itawag mo sa akin, okay? O di kaya Achi…that sounds better to me, actually,” Moira said as they were all inside the car.

“Oo nga naman, Miss Raffie,” Quino agreed.

“Okay, Achi,” was Raffie’s warm answer. And then, as Quino was about to help her put on her seatbelt, she immediately said, “Sir Quino, it’s okay, I can manage.”

“Hmmm, that also reminds me of something,” Moira suddenly blurted out. “Kayong dalawa, napapansin kong hanggang ngayon ang formal nyo masyado when you address each other. What’s with the Miss and the Sir thing, huh?”

Quino smiled as he met Raffie’s eyes. “Actually, nasanay lang siguro kami, Achi. Hindi na namin namamalayan,” he explained.

“Really? Bakit parang ako ang na-a-awkward sa pagka-formal nyo?” Moira asked again, sounding unconvinced at Quino’s reason.

“Achi…nasanay lang po talaga kami, especially since in the music school that’s the usual way we address each other,” Raffie tried to add to Quino’s explanation.

“Well, I understand that. But such formalities could be dropped if you’re outside Forte, diba? Parang may wall kase na nag-i-inhibit ng intimacy when you add the miss and the sir to your names, diba?” Moira commented straightforwardly. Then, as she saw Quino’s creased forehead on the rearview mirror, she raised her brow and added, “Well, anyway, I don’t mean to meddle with you in such trivial things…uhm…never mind. By the way, dear brother, I’m glad you’ve finally decided to use this car. I thought pababayaan mo na lang itong mabulok sa garage forever. You have to use this more often, not that old Mirage.”