Chapter 6 (Part 1) - The Ballet Shoes

A bell is no bell ‘til you ring it,
A song is no song ‘til you sing it.
And love in your heart
Wasn’t put there to stay –
Love isn’t love
‘Til you give it away.
-Oscar Hammerstein, Sound of Music

“Good morning, Daddy,” Raffie greeted her father as she sat beside him at the breakfast table and gave him a peck on his cheek.

It was still 6:30 in the morning but she was already dressed up and ready to start her first day in the College of Music. She would usually wake up at eight o’clock but that day she knew that she had to start learning how to adjust herself to an earlier morning routine. Actually, that day was really special for her, so she woke up with a face that was filled with anticipation. She glanced at her phone before placing it on the table. “Kumusta po tulog ninyo?”

“Good morning, too, hija. Mula nung dumating ka rito palaging mahimbing ang tulog ko,” Paeng said with a smile.

“Aba, sino ba naman ang hindi makakatulog nang mahimbing lalo na’t halos gabi-gabi ba naman na kinakantahan at tinutugtugan ng mga favorite songs nya?” Carmi quipped in as she entered the dining area with a pitcher of fresh carrot juice. She began to pour some juice onto Paeng’s glass. “It’s like watching concerts almost every night – for free! You should be thankful you’re blessed with a gifted daughter, Sweet.” She smiled fondly at her husband and stroked his shoulder. 

Paeng nodded slowly. “I am. I always thank the Lord for your life, hija,” he said. He opened his arms as Raffie sat nearer to embrace him. “Kahit iisa lang ang anak namin, we feel so blessed.”

“Ako rin naman po, Daddy, Mommy…I’ve always been proud to have you as my parents…kita nyo naman po, o, dahil sa sobrang proud ko sa inyo, eto na po ako – ready to begin my career as an educator just like you!” Raffie beamed with excitement.

She used to feel diffident about the thought of becoming a college teacher, but ever since she was given the opportunity to teach in her very own alma mater she began to feel the eagerness to share her experiences and skills to aspiring musicians and dancers.

“Well, I must say you look really beautiful and confident, hija,” Paeng declared with much admiration. He looked at his daughter indulgently. Raffie appeared fashionably dignified in her black satin blouse matched with gray blazer and pencil-cut skirt.

“Yes, you look definitely remarkable, my dear,” Carmi seconded as she held her daughter’s arms, gazing at her proudly. “O, dalawa subjects mo ngayon, di ba hija?”

Raffie’s sweet smile widened. “Opo,” Raffie replied. “Musical Theater Workshop po and Voice and Speech for the Actor. Tapos po tomorrow Dance Performance Skills naman. I’ll also be meeting the faculty members of the department. That’s why I’m so excited.”

“That’s my girl,” Paeng said. “So…sabay na kayo ng Mommy mo papunta sa campus.”

“Opo, Daddy,” Raffie replied, glancing at her phone again. ‘Why isn’t he returning my calls?’ she thought, biting her lip. ‘No, Raffie, don’t be anxious, tatawag din sya mamaya…it’s your first day in the university, dapat all smiles ka lang.’

Just then, she received a text message. But it was from Louie, reminding her about their scheduled practice that afternoon. “Daddy, mommy, after nga po pala ng classes ko dun ako didirecho sa church, ha. This afternoon po kase yung schedule ng first rehearsal namin para po dun sa musical presentation ng mga youth. Kaya po, Daddy, I’m not sure if I could go home early tonight. Tomorrow na lang po kita tutugtugan ng guitar, ha?”