Chapter 10 - Play it By Ear

Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning.”
-          Anonymous

Raffie’s POV:

“Lovey, I have big news for you!”

Raffie smiled as she saw Vince’s handsome face filled with excitement and enthusiasm. It was six-thirty in the morning, and she was already dressed up, ready to go to the music school, when her boyfriend called. “Is that why you suddenly called me up even if it’s midnight there in London?”

“Absolutely right.” Vince winked at Raffie, his thrilled expression quite contagious.

“Let me guess…you got the part you auditioned for, didn’t you?”

“Yes, Lovey…and I was offered another role in a TV series that will be aired by third quarter this year! I immediately accepted the offer. Wait, let me show you my audition picture…” he said, showing her a photo in his phone.

Raffie looked at the photo which perfectly captured Vince dancing with someone…maybe someone who auditioned, too.

“Wow, that is definitely great news, Honey! I’m so happy for you! Congratulations!” Raffie was genuinely proud and blissful to hear about the big break which came to her boyfriend. She knew how Vince persevered and prepared himself for such opportunities, and it was quite overwhelming to know that all his hard work was now paying off.

But looking at the picture, she also felt a twinge of jealousy. Of course she knew very well it was merely an audition…she can’t help feeling that way, though.

“Thank you, Lovey,” Vince said. Then his beaming expression suddenly toned down as he took a deep sigh. “I will be leaving next week to shoot the film in L.A…and I’m afraid I will have to stay there for about two months. Then I need to go straight to Boston for the initial shoot of the series.”

Raffie suddenly felt a lump on her throat. “But you’re supposed to fly here next month, honey…”

“I’m…I’m so sorry I have to postpone my plan to visit you there, Lovey. But I promise I’ll be there as soon as I can. I’m really sorry, it’s just that…everything seems to be falling into place now, I have to make sure I’ll be able to give them more than what they expect from me. I hope you will understand, Lovey.”

“Oh…I do…yes, I understand you,” Raffie quickly said, biting her lip. ‘I always do,’ she thought.

“Thank you so much, Lovey. I knew I can always count on your support! Thank you for being very understanding. I love you.”

Sighing deeply, Raffie muttered, “You take care of yourself, okay? All right, I need to go now.”

“Okay. Take care of yourself, too. I love you.”

Raffie nodded and then closed her eyes as she ended her conversation with Vince. Yes, she understood him…but she was somehow disappointed because she expected her boyfriend to be with her family next month – on her father’s birthday.

She thought it would be the perfect time for her Dad and Vince to know each other better…and she was anxious to introduce him to Louie and the rest of her friends and relatives.