Digging Deeper - Part 46

*****

Chapter 46

“I know I’m getting stronger but did we really have to climb out through the bathroom window?”  Ridec complained.

“Did you notice it had bars at it?”  Jessell asked ignoring the question.  “If we hadn’t been able to manipulate the water in the bathroom we’d have been stuck in there.”

“Maybe the bars were for our protection in case one of the uncleans turned,” Ridec suggested.  Jessell gripped Ridec’s jaw and pulled at it gently and he smirked.

“You’re so adorable you can definitely get away with being stupid,” she said.  “Those bars weren’t to keep anyone out, they were meant to keep us in.  This place is a prison and I bet the reason they drugged me was because that tattle tale Kent told them I was a fighter.  They probably thought the drugs would have me passed out for days but our metabolism is different to anything they’ve experienced.”

“You’ve got it all figured out,” Ridec said dryly.

“Am I noticing a hint of rudeness in your voice?”  Jessell demanded.

“Never, Princess.”

“That actually sounded sarcastic.  I think I need to get you back to Merland before I lose complete control over you.”

“Too late,” Ridec muttered under his breath.

“What’s that?”  Jessell demanded.

“A gate,” Ridec said quickly.  “Maybe it leads to someplace interesting.”

“Now you’re talking,” Jessell muttered hurrying forward.

“It’s locked,” Ridec said.  “Perhaps we should go back to our room and wait for morning.  If I can find the cure we can get out of this place and go home.”

“You really think they’re going to just let us waltz out of here?”  Jessell demanded.

“If I find the cure they will.”

“No,” Jessell said firmly.  “They said themselves they found a way to retard the infection yet they only use the meds on Kent.  Why is that?  Why aren’t they trying to help the other uncleans?”

“Maybe they don’t have enough medicine?”  Ridec suggested.

“Yet they were pretty sure they could get all the ingredients you needed to work on a cure,” Jessell pointed out.  “You are being deliberately daft and I think it’s because you want to believe that they are interested in helping you to find a cure so you can save Pete and the rest of the world.”

“Can you blame…?”  Ridec started to say but Jessell cut in.

“Great, finally got this stupid gate open.”

“I didn’t know you could pick locks,” Ridec said.

“It was a simple lock, that doors going to be a lot harder,” Jessell admitted.

“So we might as well head back,” Ridec whispered.

“I’ll use my shrill,” Jessell said.

“It will drain you,” Ridec protested.

“I don’t need to use that much power to damage a simple lock,” Jessell pointed out.

“Maybe,” Ridec gripped Jessell’s arm and held it firmly.  “Maybe these guys are okay; just three little old men trying to do their part to keep a world that’s falling apart together.  They had no right to drug you but maybe they were just trying too hard to be the heroes.”