Jade's Challenge Part 55

*****

Chapter 55

“I guess this is where we part company,” Rick said.  “I pray that you make it safely to your home.”

“Thank you,” Ridec said as Jessell grimaced in pain.  “You had better be heading back, I think a fresh wave of zombies seem to be approaching.”

“And there are more than the last set,” one of the guards pointed out.

“I hate to leave you in a state like this,” Ridec said regretfully.  “You are probably going to be under constant attack.  The word has gotten out that this place is where the cure is at and people will all be heading in this direction and zombies follow people.”

Rick nodded.

“We’d better go,” one of the guards said hurriedly.  “I’d rather be behind the fence by the time that lot reaches.”

“Go,” Jessell managed to get out.  “We’ll be fine in the water.”

“The baby?  She hasn’t made a transformation so far,” Rick pointed out.

“Some babies take a while to transform,” Ridec said but his voice didn’t sound as certain as his words.  “Maybe constantly being in water will help Jade make the transformation.”

“We have to go Rick,” another one of the guards yelled.

“Leave us Rick,” Jessell said a lot firmer this time.

Rick nodded and without another word started to hurry away with the guards hustling along behind him.

“Jade should have transformed already,” Jessell muttered feeling a sense of relief as Ridec lowered her into the water.  She watched with delight as her feet merged together and sparkling silver scales started to appear.  The cut on her abdomen was still bleeding but it didn’t seem nearly as bad now she was in the water.

“We’ve put her in water and even though she hasn’t transformed she’s been able to breathe,” Ridec pointed out.

“Darn it,” Jessell said suddenly pulling Jade close to her.  “I think the zombies have taken an interest in us.”

“It’s definitely time to get out of here,” Ridec said and gripping Jessell around the waist he swam forward.

If only the stream led all the way back to the sea that would be perfect, Ridec thought.

“So much for perfect,” Jessell said as the stream came to a halt in the middle of a medium sized river.

“I can smell the sea from here,” Ridec said swimming to the edge of the river.  “And so far there’s no sign of anyone around.”

“Maybe our luck is changing,” Jessell muttered pressing her lips gently against Jade’s flushed pink cheek.  “You enjoyed that swim didn’t you?”

Jade gurgled happily.

“She does look stronger,” Ridec said with just a touch of hope in his voice.  “She’s moving a lot more now, more like a mer-baby would move.”

“She’ll want something to eat soon,” Jessell pointed out.  “I can’t breast feed her and risk contaminating her.”

“I’ve brought something,” Ridec assured her.  “Come on,” Ridec said transforming back to his human form and walking out of the water with Jade in his arms.

“I don’t even feel like transforming,” Jessell admitted.  “I feel so much stronger in my mermaid form.”

“We have to walk to reach the sea,” Ridec pointed out.  “It can’t be more than a day’s walk away from here.”

Jessell nodded her agreement pulling herself onto the rocks at the edge of the river.  She concentrated strongly and then watched as silvery scales gave way to legs once again.

“I’m still weak,” Jessell admitted.

“You’re doing fine and you’re the bravest mermaid I’ve ever known.”

Jessell slipped off of the rock and hobbled along beside Ridec.

“You sure you’re strong enough to walk?  I can carry you.”

“No,” Jessell said.  “You need to keep your energy up and your eyes alert; we’re in unchartered territory here.  Besides, I think Jade will be quite unhappy if you stop feeding her to try to carry me.”

“Of course,” Ridec said.

***

Two hours later Jade was squirming and wailing in Ridec’s arms.

“I think my daughter can use a time out,” Jessell said.

Ridec glanced around and took in Jessell’s dress which was still wet but now soaked with fresh blood.  The water had helped but it didn’t have the healing power of the sea.  If Jessell continued to lose blood like this she might not make it back home.

“I’ll refresh the bandages,” Ridec said digging into the bag he had brought with him.

“What about Jade?”

“I’ll put her right here beside us,” Ridec said and Jessell nodded.  She wasn’t agreeing because she wanted to, she was agreeing because she was simply too weary to argue and that troubled Ridec.

Ridec laid Jade gently on the ground beside Jessell.

“Even on the ground a mer-baby would be able to move around by now,” Jessel muttered.  “Something is wrong with her; she’s developing like an earth child.”

“She’ll be fine,” Ridec insisted glancing quickly at Jade who was lying quietly on the ground beside him.  Jessell was right; a mer-baby would have been crawling off towards the water instinctively.  Jade was responding like a child that couldn’t move on her own.

“Lay back so I can tend to your wound,” Ridec said.

“I’m afraid if I lay down I might not get back up,” Jessell admitted.  “Or at least not get back up as myself.”

“You’ll be fine,” Ridec said soothingly.  He needed to be positive about this mission, Jessell was sick and Jade was still forming, it was up to him to keep everything together.  “We’re all going to be fine.”

She didn’t argue.

Ridec wrapped the bandages around Jessell and tied them firmly in place, he could already see the beginning of a blood stain on the new bandage; he couldn’t let her keep walking.  He would have to make a makeshift bed to drag her along behind him.  She wouldn’t be happy about that.

“I’m going to make something for you to lie on, it will make it easier for us to travel,” Ridec said.  Jessell nodded and Ridec’s heart sank.  If Jessell was agreeing to that she must feel even worse than she looked.

Ridec ran his hand lovingly through Jessell’s long black hair.

“And you can get to carry Jade,” Ridec said.

Jessell glanced down at the orange lines on her arm; they had started to creep up along her shoulder.

“No,” she said.  “You hold Jade; she’ll be too heavy for me.”

Ridec bit his lip fighting the urge to break into tears at the sheer impossibility of the situation.  It was clear that Jessell wasn’t sure she was going to survive and she didn’t want their baby any where near her if she turned.  Ridec nodded jumping to his feet hurriedly so Jessell would not see the pain in his eyes.  The sea might be a day’s walk away, he thought to himself, but he was determined to make it to the water in half the time.