Born to Love Part 54

Chapter 54

“Aaaarrrrrgghhhhh…”  The sound of the zombies was growing much louder now.  Ridec could almost feel their breath on his face.  He could feel his stomach tighten, he was the one who wanted to head back to Merland with his family in search of a cure but right now he couldn’t seem to control the wave of fear that rushed over him.  How could he really hope to make it, they hadn’t even gotten ten feet out of the gate and they were already under attack, if Rick hadn’t insisted on coming and bringing the guards with them his wife and child would likely be dead now.  Ridec inhaled a deep breath and released it slowly.  He couldn’t think like this, failure was not an option, he was going to get Jessell and Jade safely back to Merland and he was going to find a cure.

“Get ready,” Rick screamed.  “Fire.”

The blast of bullets echoed all around the area yet zombies seemed to be still rushing forward.

“Too many of them,” one of the guards yelled and breaking ranks started to run back towards the safety of the sanctuary.

“Stay where you are,” Rick shouted.  “If we break ranks we endanger our Majesties.”

“We can’t win,” another guard said nervously.

“Use your swords,” Jessell screamed slipping into of the space the deserting guard had left and wielding her sword; she took two heads in one swipe.  There was a loud cheer.

“You heard the queen,” Rick yelled.  “Forget the guns, use the swords.”

Ridec grabbed his sword from the scabbard.

“No Ridec, get behind me,” Jessell ordered.

“Aaaaaaghhhhhh…..” One of the guards screamed as a zombie sank his teeth into his shoulder.  He dropped to the ground and the creature followed him but didn’t get the opportunity to take the second bite because another guard slammed his sword into the top of its head burying it down to the base.

“We’re winning,” Rick said whirling his sword in the air and taking another’s head.

“The odds are looking better now,” another guard shouted.

“If we could get behind them our shots would count much better now,” Rick said.

“Do it,” Jessell screamed.

“Go, go,” Rick shouted at eight of his guards.  “Try to get behind them.”

“We don’t have many bullets.”

“I think the calvary’s on the way,” Rick yelled as sixty men came racing out of the gate armed with guns and carrying a box load of ammunition.

That didn’t deter the creatures.  They continued gripping at the men, another guard screamed as one zombie sunk its teeth into his face and came away with part of his cheek in its mouth.

“Pull back, pull back,” Jessell shouted to the guards.

“You lot get in behind the zombies when they try to follow us,” was her instructions to the guards racing towards the battle.

“Don’t leave our wounded, remember they won’t turn, they’ll just die from blood lost,” Ridec said.

“Grab those men and retreat,” Rick said breathlessly.

Jessell hobbled back with the group, the stitches in her abdomen had torn and fresh blood was leaking onto her dress.

“Come here,” Ridec said gripping Jessell and dragging her towards him.  “You can’t do this, you’ll kill yourself.”  He snatched the sword from her hand roughly.  “They are here not only to protect Jade and me but to protect you too.”

“I’m a warrior,” Jessell said angrily.

“You’re my wife and the mother of my child first and foremost.  You’re a great warrior Jessell, but every great warrior has to know when the time for fighting is past,” Ridec said firmly.

Jessell’s eyes teared up as Rick and four guards pushed the three of them back towards the gate and the other guards raced forward flanking them on the far left and right in order to get behind the horde of zombies without attracting too much attention.

“If I can’t even defend you here how will I be able to help you and Jade make it back to Merland?”  Jessell asked.

Ridec bundled Jessell into his arms.

“That’s not on you Jessell, it’s on me,” he said solemnly.

“You weren’t meant for something like this,” Jessell protested.  She turned and stared around her.  “You weren’t raised for fighting Ridec.”

“Fire!”  Rick yelled at the troop who were now behind the zombies.  Bullets were flying and zombies were falling to the ground.

“It’s working,” one of the guards screamed happily.

“They’re turning around, they’re following the sound of the firing,” another guard yelled.  “The others won’t be able to hit the base of the skull anymore.”

“Then it’s our turn,” Rick said with a half smile.  “Fire men!”

“We did it!  We did it!”  A guard screamed excitedly as the last zombie dropped to the ground.

“They’ll be more, don’t think that gun fire won’t bring zombies from miles round,” Rick said.  “We need to get back to the mission at hand.”

Rick swung about and looked at Ridec and Jessell.

“We’ve a clean path to the main part of the stream for now, I suggest we make use of this window before another horde attacks,” Rick said.

Jessell nodded pressing her hand against her stomach to slow the bleeding.

“Are you okay?”  Rick asked staring at the blood on Jessell’s dress.

“I’m fine,” Jessell said trying to straighten her body but finding it impossible to do so.

Ridec unbuckled the carryon and slipped it off of his shoulder, Jade squirmed revealing her annoyance from being removed from the comfortable position against her father’s chest.

“What are you doing?”  Jessell asked as Ridec slipped the carryon onto Jessell’s shoulders.  Jade settled happily against her mother’s bosom.

“It’s time for you to see that I’m ready to carry my family,” he said and lowering his body slipped his hand behind Jessell’s back and under her knees and lifted her easily into the air with their baby resting on top of her.  “I might not have been born to fight, Jessell, but I was born to do whatever it takes to protect you.”