Chapter 27

Copyright - All Rights Reserved

*****

Chapter 27

It seemed like forever for Ridec before he heard Jessell’s voice in his mind again telling him to open the back door to the school, she was coming in ‘hot’.

“Jessell’s coming back,” Ridec said racing out of the room and along the corridor with everyone chasing behind him.

“How the hell would you know something like that?”  Kent demanded.

“And more particularly where are you going?  The front door is in the other direction,” Rea pointed out.

“She’s coming in through the back and we have to be ready for her, she could have some of those creatures on her tail,” Ridec explained.

“I’m starting to wonder if it is worth it to open the door to let her in,” Linda grunted.

Ridec didn’t respond, aggression didn’t come naturally to him but he knew that if any of them tried to leave Jessell out there he would be using his weapon on them instead of those creatures.  The violence of his own thoughts made him wince; how was it that in just a few short days this place was turning him into an insensitive murderer?

“I’ll pull the door you lot get ready to fight off anything that tries to enter,” Kyle instructed gripping the handle of the back door as the others lined themselves along the corridor with sticks and knives in hand to defend themselves.

“Don’t do anything yet,” Ridec instructed.  “She’s still about five minutes away and she’s trying to lose as many of those things as she can before she gets back here.”

“You have some kind of a communication device?”  Mary questioned.

“Maybe because they’re in love they can hear each other’s thoughts,” Pete suggested and Linda grunted.

“I sincerely doubt that,” Rea said firmly.

“Maybe she told him before…” Kent started to say but Ridec cut him off.

“Now!  Open the door now!”

Immediately on his instruction Kyle swung the door wide open and they all stared out as Jessell came hurrying forward slowed down by the fact that she was dragging three zombies tied together by some kind of vine behind her.

“She needs help,” Kent muttered already pushing past the group and going out towards Jessell.

“I would have gone,” Ridec grumbled.

“She’s got about five of those things coming close behind her,” Mary pointed out.

“If we go out there we might be able to help her take them down,” Kyle said.

“I hear that,” Ridec was out the door before anyone could make another comment.  He pressed the gadget on his hand and watched the boomerang fly forward encircling a zombies neck, he held his hand firm as the metal instrument came zipping through the air once more to lock into place, the zombie dropped to the ground its head rolling in another direction.

“That’s four left,” Ridec said as he watched Kent battling with another one of the creatures.  That one seemed stronger and more agile.  He would help but he dared not risk using the weapon with Kent in such close proximity to the creature.

“Jessell,” Ridec reached Jessell’s side.  “What are you doing?”

“I’m bringing in your specimens; unfortunately I managed to attract a few more specimens than I was hoping for.”