Chapter 21

Copyrighted - All Rights Reserved

Chapter 21

Where had Jessell learnt to fight like that?  Ridec could not help asking himself, he felt as if he was watching a super hero movie and Jessell was the beautiful star.

“We have to get inside, all that noise is sure to attract more of them,” Kent said gripping Ridec’s hand and pulling him into the safety of the school.

“I can’t go unless I know Jessell is going to be all right,” Ridec yelled using all of his strength to tug out of Kent’s grip.

“Jessell doesn’t want you out there Ridec,” Rea said.

“Jessell doesn’t always get what she wants,” Ridec pointed out racing out of the school as another zombie scrambled towards Jessell.  She seemed to have eyes in the back of her head because before Ridec could shout a warning she had turned about and slammed her foot into the knee cap of the oncoming zombie, its leg cracked and bent awkwardly and it fell to the ground.  That wouldn’t keep it down of course, it was still coming to her crawling on all fours.

Jessell delivered one well placed jump kick to the chest of one more and it stumbled back several yards and dropped to the ground, he too would be up in seconds but seconds was all Jessell seemed to need, she was already racing away from the area and towards the school.  Ridec turned immediately and hurried inside, clearly she hadn’t needed his help.

“What were you doing out there?”  Jessell demanded as soon as she slammed the door shut.

“I wanted to help,” Ridec muttered feeling remarkably foolish, he hadn’t in fact been able to do anything and he actually got in the way of Jessell as she had rushed into the school entrance.

“Thanks, you were a big help.”  Sarcasm was dripping from every single word and Ridec couldn’t help feeling even more foolish.

“You don’t have the right to treat him the way you do.  I would never treat him like that if he was my boyfriend,” Rea piped up.

“Guess what doll-face, he’s not your boyfriend and he’s never going to be your boyfriend so keep your opinions to yourself,” Jessell responded.

“You don’t own him,” Rea insisted.

Jessell laughed.

“What does that mean?”  Ridec asked turning to look at Jessell.

“It means I need to look around this place and make sure it’s safe for us to spend the day.  Linda you take Ridec to that safe room with Pete until Kent and I make the rounds, make sure nothing happens to him.  Tell Mary and Kyle to start scavenging around this place for some kind of food.  If there’s nothing here we’ll have to see if any of the plants on the outside are edible,” Jessell instructed.

“You can’t give me orders,” Linda said indignantly.  “Who the hell died and made you queen anyway?”

“Who died?”  Jessell opened wide amused eyes at Linda.  “The whole world died sweetheart or haven’t you been paying attention?”

“Just do what she says,” Kent instructed and Linda grunted her annoyance before walking off with Ridec in tow.

“What should I do?”  Rea wanted to know.

“Go find a zombie and make love to it for all I care,” Jessell said carelessly and Rea’s eyes narrowed.

“You can go looking for food with us,” Ridec said directing his comment to Rea.  He really didn’t want to see the girls fight, in fact he was pretty sure it wasn’t going to be much of a fight, Jessell would just whoop Rea’s butt in a second.