Just when... Part 51

Chapter 51

*****

9 months later

“Sir,” Rick hurried into the room, stopped and looked ready to bolt at the sight of Jessell wrapped in Ridec’s arms and the two of them staring through their bedroom window.  “Forgive me your highest.”

They had taken to calling Jessell that now and had accepted her as their leader.

“If we had wanted privacy we would have locked the door,” Jessell pointed out quietly turning from Ridec and gently twisting out of his arms.  Ridec groaned.

“You are well your highness?”  Rick asked.

“I’m perfect,” Jessell said leaning back to press her lips against Ridec before walking towards Rick.  “In fact I’m better than perfect.”

“That’s my baby,” Ridec said happily.  “Better than perfect; I mean my big baby and not my little baby of course.”

Jessell smiled and rubbed her palm gently along her stomach.  It was hard to imagine they had been among these people for so long, they were almost starting to feel like her people, almost.

“When are you due?”  Rick asked as if to stop her from focusing on what she had left behind.

“Just one more month to go,” Jessell said smiling.

“Your baby will be a prince among our people,” Rick assured her.  “Word is getting around out there and every day more and more people are coming here for the cure.  What you’ve done,” Rick said glancing at Ridec and then back at Jessell.  “No one on earth will ever be able to repay you for.”

“What Ridec has done,” Jessell cut in holding out a hand towards Ridec and he immediately hurried towards her.

“No, if you hadn’t agreed to stay here, and get married and settle done and live like one of us Ridec would never have stayed long enough to perfect the cure,” Rick said sincerely.

“You’ve got that right,” Ridec said pressing his lips against Jessell’s cheek.  “With Jessell here with me; I’m already home.  I can stay here as long as I need to fix things.”

“There’s still more to do with the cure?”  Rick questioned.

Ridec sighed.

“Ridec believes in hundred percents,” Jessell explained.  “As you’re aware at least three percent of the people who are given the vaccine don’t react well to it.  It speeds up the symptoms in some and they turn immediately.  We’re still not sure why that is.”

“He’ll figure it out,” Rick said confidently.

“In the meantime I’m responsible for the death of innocent men, women and children,” Ridec pointed out.  “Gus, the guy that helped rescue us, he turned as soon as I gave him the vaccine.  I thought it might have been something to do with blood type or historical DNA but it isn’t because I’d given his brother Kirk the vaccine moments before and all the orange lines disappeared, he was completely healed.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Jessell said.

“Try telling Kirk that,” Ridec responded.

“Kirk’s an idiot.  He knew this vaccine was a risk, we never pretended it was anything else but.  I think most everyone is happy to know there’s finally hope again on the earth,” Jessell said bluntly.

“Our Queen is right Sir,” Rick said hurriedly.  “I never imagined that I’d be able to have a wife, a clean one at that and maybe raise kids with her, to not have to live in constant fear of being eaten alive.”