Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“There’s a lot of interesting stuff in here.”  Ridec blew dust from off of one of the books and made a face.  “Unfortunately most of it has been destroyed by time.”

“Mmmmm….” Jessell was deep in sleep and yet partly awake, he guessed that was the way warriors slept.

“At least I was able to salvage some information from the computers,” Ridec continued in spite of it being a monologue.

“A lot of what you told me was right on the money.  They have some old newspapers here in on computer, someone must have downloaded them.”  Ridec took a sip of the water they had received from Kyle and stared at the news items.  “I wish this piece of junk was working better, it’s taking all of my know how to find anything on here.  Maybe I can find some replacement parts and speed this up when we go out tomorrow.”

“Mmmmm…”

Ridec grinned and turned off the computer and went to lay down beside Jessell.  She automatically rolled towards him and slung an arm over his shoulder and his smile broadened.

“Imagine you and I hear like this, almost a dream come true.”  He paused for a moment and thought about that.  “Except for the zombies of course, and the freaky babies and the people trying to kidnap me…okay maybe not a dream more like a nightmare with highlights.”

“Shut up Ridec.”

“Shutting up,” Ridec muttered.

“Good boy.”  Jessell pressed her lips gently against Ridec’s cheek and he felt his heart do a somersault.

“I’m not going to wash that side of my face again.”

“We don’t have water anyway,” Jessell muttered still half sleepily.

“I’m keeping you awake.”

“Yes you are.”

“I’m too excited.”

“Because I kissed you on your cheek?”

Jessell opened her eyes to a squint now her face and voice sounding less tired.  Ridec blushed.

“I guess.”

“So what if I kissed you on your lips?”  Jessell asked and Ridec could feel his heart racing at the prospect.

“Well…I…”

Jessell leaned forward and pressed her soft, red, full lips against Ridec’s other cheek and Ridec’s heart danced.

“Still excited?”

Ridec didn’t answer.  He was pass excited, Jessell’s lips on him was everything he had ever dreamed it would be and more.  If Jessell would accept him as her husband he would face a million zombies with a smile on his face.

“You…you never said who you chose for your husband.”

Jessell laughed.

“Didn’t I?”  Jessell teased.

“But you came to the surface after me so that must…”

“The noise outside is getting worse.”  Kent had barged into the room with his knife in his hand.

“And…?”  Jessell rubbed a hand across her tired eyes.

“The door looks as if it’s weakening,” Kent continued.

“Shoot.”

“You think they’ll get in?”  Ridec asked.

“It’s only a matter of time,” Kent responded.