Taking a risk Part 47

Chapter 47

“At least the back door wasn’t locked,” Jessell said stepping outside and then stopping in her tracks; Ridec bounced into her.

“What?”  Ridec muttered not actually minding the opportunity to have his body in contact with Jessell’s.

“It’s beautiful back here.  The cleans do seem to have it made.”  A pause.  “But wait, there’s a fence.”

Jessell hurried forward and Ridec followed.

“Wow, you had that whole conversation all by yourself,” he muttered and Jessell chuckled.  “The council did say the cleans were fenced in for their own protection.”

“It’s not just a fence Ridec,” Jessell pointed out.  “It’s a dome.  Even if they wanted to climb over they couldn’t.  It’s a cage.”

Ridec grimaced, he didn’t much like the idea of being caged in and even though it meant the cleans would be safe he couldn’t imagine himself living like that.

“We need to get inside,” Jessell said.

“Naturally,” sarcastically.

“Do you see a door,” ignoring the tone.

“Nope.”

“There’s some kind of tank thing over there in the distance, we’ll walk to it and see if we find the door.  We need to speak to one of the people in there.”

“I have to say I have a really uneasy feeling about being here Jessell,” Ridec admitted.

“Can you hear the thoughts of anyone?”  Jessell asked.

Ridec stopped and tried to concentrate on the thought waves around him.  Jessell was right; everything was getting more and more difficult the further they went from the sea.

“Just a faint…”  Ridec started to say when a woman came racing across the beautiful green pasture inside of the cage towards them.  “Should we hide?”  Ridec asked.

“No, didn’t I just say we wanted to talk to someone?”

“What if she’s with the council or is scared of us and screams or something.”

“Guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we get to it,” Jessell said hurrying forward to the fence to meet the woman.

The woman was small, with wild hair and wide eyes; she slammed against the fence instead of stopping herself in a control manner.

“You have to help me,” she said.

“Help you do what?”  Jessell asked.

“Help me get out of here, please.”  Wide eyes widened even more.

“Are they hurting you?”  Jessell wanted to know.

“Where’s the door or gate to this place?”  Ridec asked.

“It’s over that side.”  She pointed in the opposite direction to where they had been walking.

“It’s locked.”

“We’ll get it opened,” Jessell assured her.

“You have to hurry,” she sounded much more frantic now.  “My sister is pregnant and it’s almost time.”

“You might be safer in there giving birth…” Ridec was saying.

“No, no, she can’t have her baby here, we have to leave, you have to help us.”

“Why?  What’s happening here?”  Jessell asked.

The woman glanced over her shoulder nervously as another woman walked out of a small house behind her.  She was pregnant.