Chapter 30

Copyright - All Rights Reserved

Chapter 30

The sound of a faint cry broke the silence in the otherwise still room.

“Oh my, it’s alive,” Mary muttered in shock.

“Give me something to wrap it in,” Ridec ordered.

“What about the mother?”  Pete questioned.

Ridec shook his head and then realizing that Pete probably couldn’t see the movement in the darkness he added, “She’s dead.”

“I didn’t know she wasn’t one of those things,” Kent insisted.  “Was she a clean?”

“She has a bite but it’s still bleeding,” Ridec responded fighting to keep his annoyance with Kent under control.  “She must have gotten it less than a few minutes ago trying to get here.”

“She was probably trying to steal the food in the kitchen,” Kent pointed out.  Ridec could read Kent’s relaxation at the idea that the woman he had killed was an unclean.

“She was probably hungry,” Ridec said handing the baby over to Mary who took it nervously and wrapped a shirt about it.

“Well, she won’t be hungry anymore,” Kent said nonchalantly wiping the knife against his pants and heading towards the exit.  “Not much of a loss.”

“Where the hell do you get off deciding that a life is not much of a loss?”  Ridec demanded.

Kent ignored him continuing to stroll out of the compact storage room and into the general kitchen area.

“We should check and see how she got in, she might have broken a lock and made us vulnerable to those creatures,” Linda pointed out.

“That’s it?”  Ridec screamed.  “We just stroll away without caring that a pregnant woman was murdered a few minutes ago?”

Kent stopped in the middle of the kitchen and looked back at Ridec his face emotionless but his mind screaming that he would love the opportunity to take the younger man out of the picture but he couldn’t.

“That’s the plan,” Kent responded.

“Well maybe we should cut your throat too and think nothing of it,” Ridec suggested.  “You’re just as unclean as she was – perhaps more so.  There was a real chance of curing her.”

Kent shrugged an action that seemed to drive Ridec crazy.  It wasn’t that he couldn’t appreciate that things would happen in a mixed up world like this but how could someone be so callous at the lost of a human life?  Ridec didn’t think about the consequences he launched himself at Kent managing to knock the older bulkier man to the ground with the surprise attack.  He would have expected anger or annoyance but Kent laughed.

“You really don’t think that because you managed to make a little toy weapon that you can fight me?”

Ridec punched him squarely in the face and blood spouted from the side of his mouth.

“Stupid kid!”  Kent screamed gripping Ridec by his shoulders and tossing him off his body and onto the floor beside him.  Kent had seemed strong when Ridec had fought him that first time under the watchful eye of Jessell but this time he seemed super human strong.  Perhaps Kent had been pulling his punches then but he wasn’t pulling his punches now.

Ridec felt the force of Kent’s fist slam against his face and his jaw felt as if it shifted.  He struggled to get up from under Kent’s weight but his arms were pinned under Kent’s legs and the man was pounding away at his face relentlessly.