Be amazed Part 50

*****

Chapter 50

“We can’t get into the tank,” Ridec shouted.  “The material is too hard.”

“I’m going to have to use my shrill,” Jessell said.

She didn’t much like the idea of using her shrill in a situation like this with three monsters moving towards them.  Her shrill without the benefit of being surrounded by water would draw all the energy from her body, there was every possibility that she would collapse.  That didn’t worry her, what worried her was that when she collapsed she would be leaving Ridec alone to fight what was clearly three super zombies all by himself.  She knew him, he would try to protect her and make himself even more vulnerable.

“You can’t,” Ridec screamed.  “You won’t have the strength to make it inside if you do.”

“If I don’t,” Jessell said.  “Neither of us will escape.  Promise me you won’t let my sacrifice be for nothing.  If we’re lucky when I blow the tank at least half of the water should come gushing out.  We can use that.”

“No Jessell!”  Ridec yelled but Jessell had already focused her mind on the tank in front of her.  She shaped her mouth into the form of an ‘o’, inhaled deeply, and then focusing all her energy four feet up on the tank she wailed.

“Aaaarrggghhhh….”  Richards groaned stumbling back a few steps while Sanders fell to the ground and gripped at his ears, blood trickled down his fingers.

There was the sound of an explosion and the hard metallic material caved in leaving a two foot gaping hole.

“Shoot, the water in the tank must have been low, nothing has come out.”

“What now?”  Ridec asked looking panicked.

“Go, climb into the tank and let’s hope there’s at least a foot or two of water for you to work with,” Jessell ordered as Ridec turned to Jessell who slumped forward on her knees from the loss of energy.  “I knew you were my perfect mate,” she smiled.  “My shrill doesn’t affect you.”

“Of course I’m your perfect mate,” Ridec said lifting Jessell from the ground and swinging her arm over his shoulder.  “That’s why I can’t leave you here.”

“You can’t make it up there carrying me Ridec.  I order you to put me down.  That thing is on a three foot stilt, you need to scale at least seven feet to get inside.”

“I won’t be able to get up there in time to save you,” Ridec said.  “I’d rather die with you.”

“I told you not to make my sacrifice in vain.”

“It’s not in vain,” Ridec said.  “It proved once and for all that I’m your perfect mate.”

“Ridec,” Jessell whispered.

She could feel her body growing weaker, she wanted so desperately to collapse onto the ground but she knew if she didn’t fight to make it to the tank that Ridec would stay there with her and he would die right there with her.  She couldn’t have that.

“I’ll give you a push up,” Ridec said.

“No, you go first and then you can use the water to pull me in,” Jessell said.

“They’re starting to get up, and they’re transforming,” Ridec pointed out.

“Just do it Ridec!”  Jessell screamed and then more quietly.  “If you love me, do it.”

She had to hope that there was enough water in the tank to make their efforts worthwhile.  But what if there wasn’t?  Ridec would be a sitting duck in there with no way to protect him self.  Maybe she had one shrill left in her, it wouldn’t be as powerful as the first but it might be enough to hurt these creatures.  From what she could tell Kent had emptied a bucket load of bullets in the base of their skulls and it had done no good.  A shrill that tore through their body would probably prove just as useless, somehow she needed to sever the head.  Whatever she did, Jessell thought sadly, the second shrill would definitely be all she would have left.