Chapter 23

COPYRIGHT - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No reproduction or copying please.

Chapter 23

“We found a few cans of food down stairs and managed to secure this place,” Jessell said as soon as Ridec and Rea walked into the main room.

“That’s good news,” Ridec admitted not looking directly at Jessell.  He was finding it difficult to look into her eyes knowing that Rea had kissed him; he couldn’t get over the overwhelming guilt he was feeling.

“There are also some fruit trees outside,” Kyle pointed out.  “Didn’t go too far because of the ‘neighbors’ but it really looks like we can live here safely for quite a while.”

Mary grinned broadly and pulled Pete towards her.

“Finally a home.”

Pete was smiling too.

“And with the well outside we can have water as well.”

“A home for how long?”  Jessell put in.  “Until one of the other doors give way or until someone goes outside to catch water and a few of those things get in?  A home is supposed to be someplace safe where you can relax and feel at peace.”

She was staring at Ridec as she spoke but he looked away hurriedly.

“This isn’t my home.”

“I don’t know what planet you dropped in from but this is the only home we have,” Rea said glaring at Jessell angrily.

“I don’t recall calling your name,” Jessell responded.

“I don’t recall calling your name either,” Rea shot back.

“Yeah, real mature.”

Jessell turned away and faced Ridec who immediately stared down at his shoe.

“This is not our home Ridec, we don’t need to be getting comfortable here.  Here is just the place we rest until we can make a plan to get home.”

“You don’t talk for him,” Rea pushed in stepping forward just enough that her shoulder brushed Jessell’s back.

Jessell spun about so quickly with the back of her hand raised and it caught Rea against the cheek sending her sprawling onto the floor.

“You didn’t!”  Rea screamed jumping to her feet and diving forward towards Jessell but not fast enough because Kyle had managed to get in between the two women and was knocked to the floor instead by the sheer thrust of Rea’s body.

“Relax,” Kyle coaxed gripping Rea’s arms as she struggled to get off of him and go after Jessell.

“Let her go, I’d have a hell of a time kicking her scrawny butt,” Jessell taunted which caused Rea to fight Kyle even more furiously to be free.

“Jessell,” Ridec said.  “Surely you don’t intend to fight her, she’s one of us; the true enemy is outside of these doors.”

“The true enemy is anyone and anything that attacks me or you,” Jessell pointed out.

“Just calm down Rea,” Kyle was insisting still seeming to have a difficult time controlling the girl.  “You can’t beat her, so don’t give her the chance to humiliate you.  That’s all she wants.”

That line of reasoning seemed to resonate with Rea because she reduced her struggling immediately.

“She doesn’t have the right to treat people however she wants to,” Rea said angrily using her now free hand to rub a tear from her face.