Chapter 29

All Rights Reserved

*****

Chapter 29

“I saw something run into the kitchen area,” Pete said his voice still breathless.

“Did any of you go in?”  Kent asked.

“No,” Linda responded.  “Thought it was best to wait on you.”

“Okay, I’ll push open the door and you get ready to attack,” he was looking at Jessell and Linda as he spoke, they both nodded.  “On three…one…two…three…”

Kent threw open the door and the three rushed in followed by Ridec, Kyle, Mary and Pete.

“I don’t see anything,” Kent whispered nervously.

“I swear I saw something come in here,” Pete insisted.

“This corridor is pretty dark, there are no windows to outside, maybe you made a mistake,” Kent suggested.

“It was big and slow and looked dirty,” Pete persisted.

“This is a pretty big room,” Jessell whispered.  “Let’s just fan out and see what we find.  The last thing we need is to leave one of those things roaming around in here.”

“How did it get in?”  Linda wanted to know.

“We find it first and then we think about that,” Kent insisted.  “I’ll check the storage room.”

The adrenalin in the room was pumping, everyone was on high alert; they all knew the risk of being caught off guard by a zombie.

“Ridec, you’re with me,” Jessell ordered and Ridec fell in behind her.

“You don’t have to…” Rea started to say but Kyle gripped her arm.

“Not the time Rea, not the time.”

“If anyone finds anything just scream,” Kent advised slamming his foot against the storage room door and then hurrying in.

“Yeah, you don’t have to worry about that,” Mary responded.

“Let’s check behind the counter,” Jessell instructed holding the daggers securely in her hand.  “I’m looking left you check my right.”

“Of course,” Ridec whispered as they slipped under the bar of the serving counter.

“Seems clear back here but there’s another door, I’ll break it and rush in, you follow close,” Jessell said.

“No prob…” Ridec started to say when there was a scream but this time an unfamiliar one.

“It came from the storage room,” Ridec yelled sliding back under the counter and hurrying towards the service room where Kent had entered.

“Ridec!”  Jessell screamed racing after him and rushing through the door only to see a pregnant woman lying on the floor blood spouting from her throat.

“She spoke,” the knife in Kent’s hand was dripping blood and his mind was a mixture of confused emotions.

“She’s not one of them stupid, we’ve got to try and stop the bleeding,” Kyle was shouting but Ridec had already raced forward and grabbing a dirty cloth from the ground pressed it against her throat.

“We’re not going to be able to save her,” Ridec muttered.  “She’s already going into shock.”

“My baby, save my baby…” the woman gurgled.

“I can’t see a damn thing in here,” Kyle complained.

“That’s right, I couldn’t see her, I didn’t know she wasn’t one of those things,” Kent said.

“Get me a knife, I have to give her a c-section,” Ridec instructed.

“Are you crazy?  You know what happened to the last baby you delivered?”  Jessell demanded but Rea was already racing out of the room and hurriedly searching for a knife among the cutlery.

“She’s gone,” Ridec grunted angrily throwing the bit of clothe away.  “And that clothe didn’t help much.”

“Ridec, you can’t be touching her blood she could be infected,” Jessell continued.

“Please let me do this Jessell,” Ridec sounded desperate.  “I can still hear the baby’s heartbeat.”

“Give me that knife,” Jessell yelled grabbing the knife from Rea’s hand as she came racing into the room almost bumping into Kyle with it.

“Sorry, I didn’t see you there,” she muttered.

“Here,” Jessell said pushing the knife into Ridec’s hand and gripping her blade in her own hand ready for the delivery.  “If that kid comes out fighting I’ll be ready for it.”

“Don’t you need light to do something like that?”  Kyle asked as Ridec started the operation.

“I don’t have time to get her to light; the heartbeat is too faint; this baby is dying.”

“But…” Kyle started but Ridec blanked him out, they didn’t understand, under the sea was dark and seeing in the darkness was nothing new to he or Jessell.  He was determined to save this baby.