[After Story - 9]

Very Happy Day

The scent of buttermilk filled the room as you slid a thick pancake onto a large, circular dish. It landed atop another set of rounded pastries, slightly drooping where it hangs off the short tower. You could faintly hear yourself humming as you moved around the kitchen. Your fingers wrapped around the refrigerator door and smiled, reaching in and grabbing some orange juice after swinging it open. From behind you, you could hear a slow patter of small footsteps. Mai slowly walked in from the hallway and smiled, seeing the pancakes after rubbing her eyes groggily.

"Why'd you make breakfast so early?" The little girl asked after yawning, her dark eyes looking directly at the pancakes.

She went to grab one, though you picked her up and clicked your tongue three times. "Nope. Dad eats first." Twisting your body, you make her legs swing and sway, laughing to yourself. "What are you doing up so early?" You ask.

She giggles as you set her down. "I smelled breakfast. You made pancakes, and I'm hungry."

"Yeah, well, your dad eats first." You smiled, reaching up and putting a glass on the table. It fills with orange juice as you look back at your daughter. "Do you know what day it is today?"

She looked over at the cat calendar she had asked for her birthday. It was hanging from the side of the fridge. "Valentine's day was yesterday." She states simply, looking over at you with a raised eyebrow. From where you were looking back at her, you could see her face shape. It wasn't exactly like the average person's, but it made her side profile less curvy. Her face was rather flat, the only thing sticking out was her nose. It mimicked your husband's, but in a different way.

"Today is your dad's birthday, baby." You state, chuckling and putting a bit more batter on the griddle. "He's in bed right now. Do you want to go get him up for me? Don't tell him about this." The small pancake flips as you slide the plastic spatula under it.

"Sure!" She smiles and hurries down the hallway. Her loose, black tank top fluttered as she ran, along with her hot pink shorts.

"Do it nicely." You said aloud, adding more batter to the griddle. It quietly sizzled before flattening along the black space.

All you can do is listen to the commotion coming from your room just down the hallway. You smiled like an idiot after hearing your daughter shout happy birthday, not listening to your warning at all. You couldn't quite make out Shoji's reaction, though you could hear him mumbling softly to her. Her loud voice is clear enough to hear over the sound of the griddle hissing. "How old are you?" There was a pause, followed by the faint sound of your husband mumbling. "Wow, really? You don't look that old."

There's a huff. "Hey now." He says loudly, clearly playfully offended.

You laugh to yourself as your daughter continues to speak. "Well, you don't. That should be a compliment!" She giggles. "What do you want for your birthday? I can get mom, and then we can go shopping and get everything you want."

The two of them are silent for a moment while a quiet ruffling sounded. He must've been getting dressed or changed. Then, your daughter begins to giggle as footsteps approach the kitchen. You don't even look over as Shoji walks in with Mai in his arms. "I don't need anything for my birthday, girly. I already have what I want." You feel his hands wrapping around your hips as he kisses your cheek softly. Your face was bright red, and your heart was racing happily. "Good morning. What's all this?" He asks. You look back at him and kiss him properly, earning a gag from Mai. All you and your husband can do is laugh before you kiss your cheek softly. She squirms, causing Shoji to put her down.

"This," you start, looking back to the pancakes, "is breakfast." A smile comes to your face as you grab onto his shirt softly. "It's your birthday, so I thought I'd make something nice. Especially since I'm not going to be here tonight."