[After Story - 7]

A Godfather's Watch

Your daughter walks out of the kitchen with a plate of peanut butter and cut-up red apples. Her dark eyes flicked about the living room as she saw you rushing in with your purse. “Okay,” you start with a smile on your face. “Hanta should be here in, like, ten minutes, so we’ll leave then.”

You were talking to Mezo, who had been walking calmly from the bathroom with a towel ruffling his wet, angelic white hair. “Wait, we’re leaving in ten minutes?” He asks, absolutely clueless.

Mai laughs at her father’s question. She had been about six years old now, and was the youngest in her class in first grade. “Yes, Mezo, we’re leaving after we tell Sero what to and not to do.” You say, looking at him with a blank face.

Hanta had been Mai’s godfather, and Tsu had been her godmother. The frog-like hero was busy, and Sero lived closer than other friends of yours. It was good because your daughter got along very well with him, and seemed to look up to him quite a bit. She didn’t get to see him as often as she would’ve liked, but given that he was a hero, Mai understood completely.

“Where are you guys going, again?” She asked while dipping an apple slice into a pool of peanut butter.

Mezo spoke as you ran into the bathroom. “We have to go help some first year students over at UA. They didn’t get their hero licenses this time around, so Gang Orca and Present Mic asked for us to help them.”

“Gang Orca isn’t a hero anymore, right?” She asks curiously.

He laughs and shakes his head. “No, hon, not anymore. He retired three years ago--”

“--Two years ago.” You shout, adjusting the cuffs of your hero costume.

“Okay, yeah, two years ago.” Your husband laughs and looks over to you. “Are you almost done in there?”

You walk out, tying your hair into a ponytail. When you look over Shoji, your jaw drops, now really looking at him for the first time since he emerged from the bathroom. “You’re not even dressed!” You exclaim, looking up and down your husband.

“I got pants on,” he laughs before walking around you and into his room.

Mai began to laugh sweetly, her second set of hands wrapped around her stomach. You walked in and sat down next to your daughter, putting a hand on her head. “That man is something else.” You laugh along with her.

Soon, a knock sounded throughout the room. Mai perked up as you walked towards the door, swinging it open with a large smile on your face. “Hey!” Sero smiles happily, walking through the door of your home as you moved out of the way.

A pale, cream colored bag held in his right hand hit the side of your couch as he set it down. You walked up to him and embraced him. “Thank you so much for doing this. I appreciate it.” You smile.

Shoji walks out of the bedroom, his hero costume hugging his body tightly. He holds a hand out to Sero, allowing him to grab a hold and shake it firmly. “Yeah, I know this is kind of last minute, but so was the invitation to help the kids with the remedial training. We were going to call Tsu, but she’s got a bunch of problems going on with her agency and lack of heroes.”

“It’s really no big deal.” Sero waves his hand slightly. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been able to hang out with the little rascal, so it’s good to finally see her again. I even brought over some stuff for us to do if you get bored.” He smiles, as does the little girl.

You enter the room again, nearly stumbling over yourself as you try to put your boots on. “Mai, behave yourself for Uncle Hanta, would you?”

The nickname had been something your daughter picked up for some reason as she was growing up. She knew that he wasn’t truly related to her, but family is more than blood, and you made sure she knew that. “I will, Mom.” She said, taking another apple into her mouth.