Chapter 23

From the front door of your apartment, there was a loud knock. It had taken you by surprise, not expecting any visitors at this time in the early afternoon. In fact, you had just gotten home from work and didn't see anyone following you or in the lobby. You hadn't even had a chance to change out of your work clothes.

"Coming, just give me a second!" You called, assuming it was Mr. Grate or something, or maybe Lydia, the girl at the front counter. In a swift motion, the apron around you once wore now laid across the floor, the vibrant yellow color sticking out from the white carpet. Now you stand looking at yourself in the mirror while only wearing a pair of baggy gray joggers and a plain black t-shirt.

Quickly, you rushed from your room to the door. It swung open to reveal two familiar people, though their presence took you by surprise. "Hey, (F/n)!" Mina shouts, looking up at you from the doorway. Next to her stands Kirishima.

"What are you two doing here? I just got home from work, so sorry if I smell ungodly." You joke, moving out of their way, allowing them into your home. They nodded to you and stepped in, kicking off their shoes and slowly finding a spot on the couch beside each other.

Kirishima was the first to speak. "Are you doing anything tomorrow?" He asks excitedly.

You froze, biting the inside of your cheek. "Um, I don't know. I don't have work, if that's what you mean."

"No, like, are you going out with anyone tomorrow? Make any plans?" The girl asks, looking over at you from the back of the couch.

"Tomorrow is my birthday, so I kinda just thought I'd hang out here." You rub your temples, sitting down in the creaky recliner adjacent to your friends.

"What?" They shout in unison, nearly knocking you off the chair. "And you're just telling us about it now?"

It took you a second to hear normally again, glaring at them. "Guys, I have neighbors that live on almost all sides of me, you need to keep your voices down." You say with a huff before crossing your arms. "And yeah, what's the big deal? It's just another year-"

"If you say closer to death, I'm going to call you Fumikage." Mina squints.

You nearly snort. "No, I was going to say it's just another year that's gone by. Nothing special."

The spiky haired boy seems to take legitimate offense by your words. "Nothing special? You're unbelievable. How old are you turning?"

"Sixteen." You cross one leg over the other while your arms fold over your chest.

"See! We have to celebrate it!" Mina's eyes shine as she looks you up and down. "We could invite you over to the dorms and have everyone sing happy birthday! We'll bake you a cake and do all that fun stuff for you!" Her and Kirishima look at each other, their fists balled and bouncing up and down in front of them.

A sigh passes through you as they settle a bit. "Guys I don't think I need a big celebration. So what, I'm turning sixteen. It's not that big of a deal." Your back leans against the beige fabric, causing it to rock backwards slightly.

The two friends glanced over at one another, their hearts heavy all of the sudden. "Why are you saying that?" The boy of the two asked.

"I've never really had a legitimate birthday celebration since I was like, I don't know, eight, maybe?" You say, shrugging your arms. "Before you two insist, I just don't think I have a lot of ambition to go over there and party with you all. No offense, of course, but my social battery has been drained for the week." You laugh softly.

Kirishima laughs and waves his hand before colliding his fists together. "None taken, believe me. How about we just have a chill hang out? Like, we can get everyone together, but we all take it easy?"