Chapter 2

Closing time finally came about, and your body was exhausted from standing for nearly ten hours. No matter how much you work at this place, you would absolutely never get used to the amount of standing one has to do to make the amount that you do. Though, you're quite thankful for the opportunity to work at such a lovely place. It may be boring, sitting around sweeping the same spot for an hour, or manning the register for long hours, and then having to scrub the ovens at the end of the day. It is a well paying job for someone of your age. Your hourly wage isn't as much as what your mother makes, but whatever you earn is always a big help to support the two of you. Living in a run-down apartment in the back of the city is super sketchy, so the two of you do whatever you can to make more and more money to move to the nicer part. However long that takes you, you have no clue.

Suddenly, you're pulled from your thoughts with a small jump, your phone ringing loudly from the back of your jean pocket. It's Kiko, your manager. Immediately, you answer without hesitating, speaking before he even got the chance to. "Hey, (F/f/n) and I just closed and locked up shop."

There is a slight pause on the other end of the line before the man speaks slowly. "Oh, good, good. Listen, can you tell (F/f/n) that I will be canceling work for tomorrow? Something has come up with my son and there isn't much I can really do but hope for him." He says, sorrow in his tone. As well as being the lead manager of the small shop, Kiko was also the owner. He had done this a few other times, though for happier reasons.

You take a second, thinking about what to say while standing outside of the small bakery, looking up at the gray sky. The clouds had been out all day, and you can tell it was going to rain soon. "I'm sorry to hear that, Sir. And yes, I would be able to tell her that. Thank you for letting me know. I'll pray for your son." You smile, hearing his light laughter on the other end. Even through the phone, you were able to tell how forced it must have been.

"Thank you, (F/n), you are very kind. See you on Monday, okay? Goodbye." Without another moment, the line clicks, and he hangs up before you could get a chance to say it back.

You shrug it off, however, eyes looking around to see if your mom was in the parking lot. Most likely not, though you tried to stay hopeful that you wouldn't have to walk. Walking was generally okay, until it started to rain. That's when your mom would know to come get you, or there would probably be a petty argument at home. While you walk for right now, however, you decide that you should call your friend, knowing that she got off two hours before you did. You hold the phone up to your ear, waiting for her voice on the other end.

"Yo, what's up?" She greets casually.

"Nothing, really, just walking home. But I do have some news. Kiko called me and said that because of problems with his son, work is canceled tomorrow." You sigh softly, crossing the street and waving to the car that stopped for you.

On the other end, you hear her sigh with relief. "Thank God. I already planned on calling in sick because my (boyfriend/girlfriend) planned on taking me to that new horror movie around noon."

A light laugh erupts from your throat. "Yeah, well I get to sit at home all day and be sad and bored." You joke, looking up at the sky as tiny droplets begin to fall, hitting the pavement below you. Your eyes lower to the ground as you let out a silent sigh.

"Uh, liar, you have to meet with your boyfriend and his friend." (F/f/n) says, laughing through the whole sentence.

Your face goes hot as you jog across another road, smiling at an elderly woman with her dog as they pass, going in the opposite direction. "How many times do I have to tell you, there is nothing between Ojiro and I. He's just a damn customer, you swine." The rainfall starts to become a bit heavy, and you dodge under a tree planted on the sidewalk to try and shield yourself from the rain. "Anyway, I don't think it'll happen anyways. I don't have his number, I won't be at work, yaddah yaddah yah." A sigh passes through your lips as you suddenly see your mother's car in the distance.