IX

"She was drunk, man, I wasn't finna let her ass sleep on that dirty ass couch

"She was drunk, man, I wasn't finna let her ass sleep on that dirty ass couch. And I'm not gon keep tellin' yo ass," Amere said, amidst another argument. Stefani had been stuck on he and E'ani's interaction since it happened, and she made a point to complain about it since then.

Three days ago.

"Okay, Cortez was right there, too. She wasn't in your face all night and suddenly when she get drunk and tired she wanna be by you, make that make sense," she argued back, frustrating him. He faulted himself for maybe getting a little closer than what she was comfortable with, but Yanni didn't do anything and she kept trying to pin it on her.

"She ain't do shit, I'm not gon keep sayin' it. If I wouldn't have said anything, she would have sat her ass down on that table and fell asleep right there. Yo' lil problem not wit' her, it's wit' me," he spoke, quickly coming to her defense.

He genuinely meant for Stefani to be a one night type deal when he first met her. But they kept contact, and that's when he started feeling her. She was a sweet girl, at least at first. She didn't ask him for anything, which was shocking to him. And as Cortez told him, he didn't know how to hit once and be done with it. He never knew how, and she wasn't an exception.

He was waiting for something bad to happen, but it hadn't yet, not until just now. Even this wasn't an argument to him, he'd been in worse.

"Well then you need to stop that shit. I know y'all work together and y'all friends and shit, but it don't gotta be all that," she rolled her eyes heavily. They were literally getting ready for E'ani's birthday dinner, so he didn't feel like arguing with her at all. He just nodded to appease her and continued what he was doing.

He really hoped Yanni liked her gift. It was something she randomly saw while she was on her phone, and she said she'd buy it for herself. But when she went to find it, she saw it was discontinued, and she was visibly disappointed.

So he went and found it.

It took a lot of persuading at the store where it came from because they really weren't supposed to be selling them anymore, and there was only two left in the state, but everyone knows money talks. As much as he knew E'ani didn't want him spending money on her, he felt like she deserved it.

She'd done so much for him in five months, more than his old agent had done for him in two years. He saw a salary jump, two new endorsements, positive publicity and organization he never knew he needed in his life.

Even outside of business, he gained a friend in her. They bonded quickly, and once he came to know her, he was glad they became friends. She was a listening ear, a genuine sweetheart, even though she never showed it. She had his best interests at heart and he could tell she genuinely cared about him. So he wanted to show his appreciation for all of that.

Of course he didn't take Stefani with him to buy the gift or she'd have another reason to fuss him out and he wasn't for it.

"You ready?" he asked Stefanj, popping her head in the door, seeing her comply dressed up and made up like it was her birthday. "What is you wearing? We jus' gettin' food," he squinted his eyes.