Chapter 28: Grave Digger

"How did you end up like this?" Nathan asked his daughter, as he crawled up beside her. He spun her around and held her tight, hugging her as he cried on her shoulder. He started rocking back and forth, not releasing his little girl.

"Nathan! You need to let go of it!" Jessica yelled, trying to snap him back into reality.

"No," Nathan muttered, "I'm not letting go of her."

"Then at least let me kill her," Jessica stated as she pulled out her knife.

"Stay the fuck away," Nathan ordered as he pulled out his own knife, pointing it at Jessica.

"It's not safe Nathan, you need to kill her," Jessica said, as she put her knife back in her pocket, "You need to let her go."

"Do you not think I know that?" Nathan cried out, still embracing Sarah.

"Nathan, you are putting too much strain on your body!" Martin stated, "You need to hurry this up. Say your last goodbye's, then end her suffering."

"Fine," Nathan agreed as he moved his arm slowly up her body, until it was wrapped around her neck. He squeezed his arm tightly around her neck, and started choking her.

"I'm so sorry, Sarah," he whispered as Sarah started struggling. He slowly brought his hand towards his knife and picked it up. Then he brought it towards her head and held it there for a moment, whispered goodbye, then stabbed the knife into her skull.

Sarah continued struggling for a few seconds, then grew limp. Nathan dropped his knife to the ground, and cradled his daughter in his arms. He wept as he looked at her blank dead face, wishing that he could have done something to save her. Jessica seeing the distress that Nathan was in, walked up to him, and sat down beside him.

"Hey," she whispered, looking at her friend, "Do you need any help?"

"Just leave me alone," he answered.

"Okay," Jessica agreed as she got up, and walked away.

"How is he holding up?" Randi asked, when Jessica entered the dining room.

"He's not doing to well," Jessica answered as she got up, "His daughter is dead, it may take a long time for him to recover."

"And after a long day like today," Ray started, "He's gonna be exhausted. I think we just need to leave him alone for a bit, let him get some rest."

"That would be a good idea for us all to do," Martin agreed as he stood up from the table, "Everybody go get some rest, we will continue in the morning."

They all left the dining room and went to bed. Nobody could really sleep, they were too concerned with what happened. They couldn't believe that something like that could happen, right underneath there noses, without them realizing it at all.

The first person to wake up in the morning was Martin. He walked out of the room he was sleeping in, and down the stairs, for his room was on the second floor. He walked towards the kitchen and grabbed the jug of juice and took a drink, then looked down the hallway. He was hoping to see Nathan still sitting there, or at least sleeping there, but to his surprise Nathan was gone. Martin frantically started looking all around the house for Nathan and started calling out his name. Which woke up the rest of the group.

"What's going on?" Ray asked groggily as he stumbled out of his room.

"Nathan isn't in the house," Martin answered, "He must have left in the middle of the night."

"Did you check outside?" Ray asked, getting a bit more concerned now.

"No, I haven't. But why would he be out there?"