Chapter 17: The Road Ahead

"So you never did tell us", Randi started as the group drove into the province of Saskatchewan, "Why did you decide to leave the theatre?"

"Well, I was having a good time at first, but then I got really lonely. Everybody there had a family to go to, but I was left all by myself. I had Samuel, but he get's annoying after a while. So I decided that it would be better if I came back to you guys."

"But how the hell did you get the truck?" Ray asked, "It's not like they just gave it to you."

"I have my ways", Josh answered, "I know how to get the things that I want."

"Well I'm happy that you decided to come with us", Jessica said.

"And I'm happy that you brought a truck!" Pablo added, "I would not have wanted to walk the whole way."

"I don't think any of us would have wanted that", Ray stated, "Way too much walking."

"And at the rate we were going, we probably wouldn't have made it to the Saskatchewan border by foot", Martin added.

"Well if we are lucky we should probably make it to Saskatoon before it gets dark", Josh stated.

"That's sounds exciting", Randi said, "We might even be able to stay at a nice hotel in the city. We could finally get some decent sleep."

"Ya. I guess some of us will be able to sleep", Jessica said half-heartedly.

"What's the matter Jessica?" Randi asked, "Won't it be exciting to have a bed to sleep in tonight?"

"I know what's the matter", Josh said as he looked back, "It's okay, Jessica. You'll be fine. You will survive without him."

"It's not me I'm worried about. It's Noah", Jessica replied, "He will grow up without a father. Without somebody to look up to. It breaks my heart."

"I'm sure he will be fine. And who says that he can't look up to his mom? I mean, she's a pretty cool person too", Josh said, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Don't try and make light of the situation, Josh!" Jessica ordered, "This is a serious situation. I don't know how I'll live without him."

"It's easy", Josh said, "Look at us. We've all survived this long. I'm sure you'll be fine."

"How can you say that, Josh? You don't know what I'm going through! You've haven't lost somebody like I have!"

"That's true. I've never witnessed my family dieing. I never got to say goodbye to them. I have no clue where they are. Heck, for all I know they could be dead! So don't say that I haven't lost anybody. Cause I have, just not the same ways that you have."

"Is everything alright in there?" Ben asked from the trunk of the truck.

"Ya, everything is fine Ben!" Randi called back, "Josh and Jessica are just having a bit of a disagreement."

"Okay just making sure everything is okay!" Ben replied.

"I'm sorry if I offended you", Josh apologized, "I was just trying to make you feel better."

"It's okay. I know you were just trying to help."

"Hey we should stop to eat soon!" Travis yelled as he tapped on the back window, "We haven't eaten anything in a while!"

"We don't have any food!" Martin called back, "What would we eat?"

"Well if I'm remember correctly, there should be a gas station somewhere near here", Ray stated, "We might be able to find some stuff there."