CHAPTER 32

“Oh no no no!” I heard someone’s voice ring in my ears. “Shut up” I muttered. “Up!” the same voice yelled and water splashed on my face. I jerked up spitting water out. “Grace” I said flatly. “It’s my son’s funeral today Cheryl. I don’t want any monkey business. Soon after the funeral, pack your bag and get out of my house” “sure” I said and threw the sheets off me. She stormed out while I rummaged through my suitcase searching for something to wear. “Don’t bother” I turned and found Jake smiling at me. It was fake. “Sorry?” “I said don’t bother. Come with me” he walked out of the room and I followed him in my night suit and jeans, stifling a yawn. We walked up to his room, entered in and stood in front of his cupboard. “Are we playing a scene from Narnia?”  I joked. Jake smiled at me and said “open it”. I followed his orders. I opened the cupboard, bent down. Behind his clothes was a box. I took it out and placed it on the bed. “Go on” he urged. I opened the box and gasped. It was a black dress with lace at the bottom and white flowers on it and a diamond, a real diamond pendant at centre. “Is this for me?” I asked, tears welling up. “No, it’s for my 50 year old mother” he said pulling the box away. “Thanks Jake. I fell in love with this that day I-” “saw it” he finished for me. “How'd you know?” I asked rubbing my chin. “I used to call your mom once a month and ask her about you. She told stories about your day, your job, your friends, how much you missed me, how scared you were to call. We talked for hours on Saturdays. She told me about this dress once and how you swore to buy it once you lost weight and had the money. I decided to buy it and come meet you someday thereby ending the cold war between us. But my death happened and the plan got flushed” “oh my god! Aren’t you the perfect friend” I complimented and hugged him. I dressed up quickly and ran down. Before the guests came I had to talk to the family. “Everyone please join me in the library” I said and ran up. Paul was already waiting. We had two hours until the funeral. I had two hours to confront the killer. “What in god’s name is this girl up to now?” Grace demanded barging in. “Please sit” Paul requested. “No” she said crossing her arms. “Fine. Stand. It’s not like we care” he shot back and I began “we all know Jake wasn’t sick” “Cheryl, he was. He is dead now” Brittany spoke up. “I request no one to speak please” after everyone nodded in agreement, I continued “I hate to break it to you but Jake was killed. By one of you” “what nonsense is this?” Brittany shouted. “is this a joke?” William yelled. “Honey! Go on” uncle Mathew said lifting his glass of wine. “Thank you. Now let me explain. The day Jake had breakfast and fell on the stairs, where were you Britt?” “in..in..the kitchen. Why?” she answered. “You made the horrible breakfast?” “yes and it wasn’t that horrible” “it was” Will whispered. “You also learnt to stitch right?” “yes from-” “we don’t  need to know from whom. Who was  in charge of buying the suit for Jake?” “I was. After all, I'm the only one who knows brands” “fine” “that’s enough. What are you trying to prove?” Grace asked stomping her feet. “Can you have some patience?” I said, irritated. “You love cleanliness right?” I asked Britt. “Yeah” “the day before Jake died, you offered to clean his room, didn’t you?” Brittany kept silent. “I spoke to the maid Britt. You told her that you would clean the room, in the evening so she needn’t do it in the morning” “I did not” Britt protested. “Did you or did you not clean the room?” I asked again. “I did but-” “next morning Jake was found dead” I said and everyone froze. “Are you implying  I did it?” she asked standing up. “Cheryl that’s a false accusation” “it makes sense” Paul said. “Mother!” Brittany yelled turning around. “You were the one who told me to help Jake clean his room” “Brittany” Grace said sternly but Brittany didn’t seem to get the hint “You told me to make breakfast for everybody that day, so I did” I looked from Grace to Jake and back again to Grace. Jake sat at the back of the room, listening. “Brittany, that’s enough” Grace said and turned to walk out. “By the way, I found this” I said lifting the papers. “Good Lord, that’s George’s will!” uncle Matthew exclaimed. Grace whirled around and stared at the papers dangling from my hand. “It can’t be” she said over and over again till she reached me. “I had hidden these well, how the hell did you find it?” she demanded, her face burning red. “Sister, why would you hide the will?” uncle Matthew voiced the question that was running in everyone’s mind, including mine and definitely Jake’s too. Grace looked around, her hands trembling. “You are sweating” I said taking the papers from her hand. She placed her palm on  her forehead and wiped it. “Why did you hide it mom?” Brittany asked. “I'll tell you” a voice said and we all turned to face the door. It was…….Jenny, the neighbor.