Chapter 11

Once I was inside, I started looking for Paul. “Cheryl, do you have a minute?” Jenny asked me. “Actually, I can’t find my friend-” “it will only take a minute dear” she said cutting me off. “Sure” I said and fake smiled. She led me to the kitchen and asked two guests who were there to leave. “You are not here to create problems for us. You arrived here very early in the morning, don’t you miss home?” “Sorry?” “le me be more specific. I think it’s best if you leave” she said and crossed her arms across her chest. “But, it’s Jake’s funeral” I protested. “And you already saw him” Grace probably told her what I did. “If you don’t leave, I'll make you” she threatened and then left. I've had enough of this. I saw my friend’s miserable dead body, Paul got hurt and I can’t dodge uncle Matthew anymore. It’s time to go. I rushed upstairs and looked in all the rooms but  Paul wasn’t there. I continued walking in frustration until I finally reached Jake’s room. I pushed open the door and stepped inside. “People say that the spirit can hear you if you try” I said loudly. I walked towards the dressing table and looked in the mirror. “I miss hanging out with you Jake. Visiting you for Christmas, thanksgiving, living half my life here” I said and wiped my eyes. Suddenly the door closed with a loud thud! I whirled around but there was no one. I looked at the big windows and realized it was the windows. I walked over and leaned forward trying to shut them but just like the door they automatically closed. “That’s not good” I said and turned to leave the room. “Didn’t mean to scare you” someone said. The same person who spoke to me in the library while I was waiting for Paul. I knew that voice. I didn’t have to turn to see who it was. “Jake” I said and couldn’t help but smile. Slowly I turned and looked at my friend who said “Hi Cher. Long time huh?” I ran towards him and engulfed him in a bear hug. “Someone looks perfect and beautiful” he said and hugged me back. “Someone looks bloated” I said not letting go. “Tell me about it” Jake said and loosened his grip. “Okay, let go now” he said brushing my hair with his hand. “I've missed you for 3 years Jake, now you’re here. Let it sink in” I told him. “That doesn’t mean you get to take advantage of me” he said and chuckled. “shut up jerk!”I punched him playfully. “You are more cuddly like this” I said taking a step back and checking him out. “Enough with the sarcasm” he said and sat on his bed. “Jake, if this is a dream trust me, I don’t wanna wake up. Ever” “Well, it’s not” he said and that’s when I felt fear rising inside me. I was never afraid of Jake. Never. But suddenly I realized that I was at his funeral. He was dead. “You are dead” I said taking a step back but not shifting my gaze from him. “I know” he said and laughed. “How can I see you?” I asked. “Seriously? We’re gonna do it the movie style? You think you’re hallucinating but actually you see ghosts? Cheryl, I'm so lucky that you can see me.  I 've tried getting Will to see me but that guy’s just too stoned at the moment” “don’t talk like that about your brother. He’s sweet” I said and smiled remembering him whisper in my ear and wink. “Are you nuts?” Jake asked bringing me back to the moment. “I don’t know. You tell me” I said and crossed my arms. “Okay, you’re not crazy. But I need you to help me” “are you stuck?” “What?” “Stuck” I repeated. “I have no clue as to what nonsense you are talking about” Jake said. “Did heaven and hell reject you? Is something binding you ? Are you unable to…let go?” I asked. “Whatever books you are reading, please stop. You sound paranoid” he said and fell on his bed. “Was it you in the library?” I asked curiously. “Yup.  The whistling scared you huh?” he asked and laughed. “It did Jake. I'm here for your funeral”  “Right. Who’s the guy?” he asked sitting up again. “That’s my best friend Paul” “I've been replaced” “No, Jake” “never mind. No hard feelings” he said and smiled. “I haven’t seen you smile. I miss it” “Well, are you in love with my room?” he said ignoring the fact that I said something sweet and touching. “No. I'm surprised it’s so clean” I said pacing up and down. “Me too”
“You little thief” Jake said as he stood up. “What?” I asked confused. “You stole from me” he said pointing to my neck. He held the chain in his hand.“That’s the reason you see me” he said softly.