Chapter 13

“Cheryl, what are you doing?” Paul asked again stepping inside the room. “I was..um..just” I began but couldn’t think of any lame excuse as to why I was standing with my hands in the air. Paul would definitely think I'm crazy if I told him I saw and spoke to Jake. I would love to see his expression when I tell him I had a pillow fight with my dead friend. “About to kiss Jake” I whirled around and stared at Jake who was leaning against the wall and grinning. “Jerk” I said. “Sorry?” Paul said obviously confused why I was cursing a wall. “Um..I bumped into Grace” I finally said. “again? Poor you” Paul said hugging me. “Tell me about it. I needed a hiding place, so I came here” “Go on. Take advantage of the poor guy” Jake sing –songed. “God! I forgot how bugging you were” I said in irritation. “Cheryl?” Paul asked pulling away. “I was cursing Grace” I said and smiled. “Did you have a mental breakdown or what?” he asked pointing at the pillows. “She sucks at a pillow fight” Jake chimed  in. I glared at him but he just winked and watched Paul. “frustration release” I finally said. If this was a normal day and I spoke this way, Paul would’ve driven me to the hospital for sure. “Oh wow! And the lamest excuse maker award goes to Cheryl Goldsin” Jake announced and applauded. “I never got to ask you, did you see Jake?” Paul asked me. I decided to ignore Jake for at least 5 minutes and talk to Paul. After all he got hit because of me. “I did. You look fixed” I said ignoring his question. I didn’t want to recall what I saw in the coffin. “Brittany did a good job eh?” he asked and smiled. “Brittany? You mean Britt? My innocent sister? What the hell was this guy doing with her?” Jake demanded. “She came in a bikini to your funeral!” I shouted at him. “What the F-” “my funeral?” Paul asked. “His I meant” I said pointing at a picture of Jake which was on a table. “Cheryl did you see him?” Paul asked again with concern. “Yup. I did” “How did I look?” Jake asked standing next to Paul. “Miserable” I said and frowned. “He looked abnormally fat P” “you call him P?” Jake said and started to laugh. “Could you please shut up?” I shouted at Jake. “You don’t know how much it hurts okay? I'm attending your funeral here jerk. I can’t joke about stuff. You looked abnormal. I have no freaking idea what happened to you. I got a call saying you are dead and so I came. I cancelled an important meeting just to see you for the last time. And my friend Paul here, stood by me through it all and he is still standing. So if you wanna joke about anything, joke about what a bitch your mom is and how she hates me and  God only knows why! Your irritating neighbor keeps giving me looks and threatening me. Uncle Matthew is hitting on me since I stepped into this house. Your sister is not bothered you are dead and your brother is hot and good looking. What the hell happened in 3 years Jake? Feel free to share, I'm all ears” I yelled and walked towards the window. “Cheryl” Paul and Jake said at the same time. “Paul I think we’re done here. I came to see him and I did” I said looking outside. I didn’t want to look at Jake. I shouldn’t have yelled at him, I know. But doesn’t he realize how hard this is for me? Has he lost it completely?  “are you sure you wanna leave?” Paul asked. “Positive” I said turning towards him. Jake was gone…again.