Chapter 2

“Jake Wellings” I started “he was the only guy who didn’t come across as a nerd, a jock, an athlete, a flirt or a vampire” I laughed for the first time since I heard about Jake’s demise. “a vampire?” Paul repeated and half smiled. “I was into twilight books and stuff!” I defended myself. “So, what did he come across as?” “I didn’t know at that time and that was what made me even more eager to get to know him better. The first time we met was on the football field. He was the goal keeper and I was supposed to shoot an awesome shot which made me famous the next day. Under all the frustration I kicked the ball and it hit Jake with lot of force. He went flying into the net while the ball hit below his stomach” “ouch!” Paul screamed. I laughed again remembering that day. “I ran to him and asked him if it was okay?” “it? Are you kidding? You asked him that?” “At that time I was a very shy person and got tensed about small things” “what’d he say?” Paul asked opening a tin of Pringles. I think I forgot to remind him that we were not on a road trip. “He said ‘you just crashed my chances of making a family” we both cracked up laughing. “After that we become friends and it was only the two of us throughout high school. He never left me and neither did I. He was Sherlock and I was Watson. Inseparable” I concluded and a tear rolled down my cheek. “Cher?” “I' m fine P” “Cher?” he asked again,. “Yeah?” I asked glancing at him. I knew he was going to ask me something dangerous. “Go on, spill” I urged. “What happened after your 18th birthday bash?” he asked slowly and all I could do was press harder on the accelerator. “Slow down!” Paul yelled and I stopped the car immediately. “What?” I asked confused. “You wanna get a ticket or killed?” he asked still recovering from a recent shock. “Why do you look like you saw Jigsaw?” “Are you aware of what you did?” “Cut to the chase will ya P?” “You were speeding Cheryl! 150 and almost above!” Paul yelled at me and held his face in his hands. “No, I uh…I would never..speed” I stammered. “I know. Then why did you? What made you so upset when I asked you about your 18th birthday?” he asked calming me. “I'll drive from here on. Scoot” he ordered and didn’t take no for an answer. “If you don’t wanna tell me I totally understand” “No, it’s just that I haven’t spoken about that night since…” “since?” “Since Jake and I broke up” “What?” Paul asked in shock. I could tell he thought I was joking but part of him also thought it was a mistake reminding me about that night. “Why? What happened to inseparable?”  he asked again. “Too many questions” I said in a sing-song voice. “Sorry Cher” “I don’t know exactly what happened. Why it happened. All I know is that we got into a huge fight and ended up not talking to each other except for an e-mail on our birthdays. If I could raise him from the dead I would ask him about that night” I said and closed my eyes.

     If you had a big fight with your best friend it would be impossible to forget it no matter how long ago it happened. But as for me, I felt like it was better not to remember it. I preferred if it was not brought up. I loved Jake as a friend. I always felt like a lucky person to have him. So did he (I guess). We never thought we would break up and when we did, we couldn’t face each other.