Chapter 16

*Buzz* *buzz* *buzz* “You might wanna answer that. It has buzzed for the 20th time. Counted” Jake said stretching his legs on the bed.  “It’s just Paul” “Oh, aren’t you supposed to be leaving?” I stared at him and then  asked “how do you expect me to leave?” “well, I guess Paul has  a car” Jake started but I cut him off saying “You were murdered you bone head! I wanna get to the bottom of this”  “woah! Hold it Nancy Drew” Jake said getting up from the bed. “I'm gonna find out who killed you” “you don’t have enough time Cher” Jake said pointing at my watch. “I'll think of some way” “let it go” he said quietly and walked towards the door. “I'm not leaving, if that’s what you are trying to tell me” I glared at him but his expression remained the same. “Please Jake, let me help you” I said with a frown. “What good is it gonna do Cher?” he snapped. “It won’t bring me back. It will only make me feel worse” “why worse?” I asked curiously. “You are worse at investigating than I thought”  “spit it out” I ordered sternly. “It’s definitely an inside job, don’t you think?” “why can’t you just tell me who killed you?” I demanded. “That’s because I am confused” Jake said and buried his face in his hands. I didn’t know whether to laugh or sympathize. How can this moron not now who killed him? In the past 3 years I always thought, why do I miss Jake so much? I have so many other friends. Now I realized why. No one was as stupid as he was. “Dumbass!” I said and threw a pillow at him. He ducked and it hit Paul straight on his forehead. “Oh my god!” I screamed and ran towards him while Jake cracked up laughing. “Stress release?” Paul asked sarcastically. “I'm so sorry” I said over and over again. “I'm fine” Paul said flatly and looked around the room. “Hey Jake”  he said and looked at me. “He said hi too” I said softly.  “What did I miss?” Paul asked stepping inside the room.

          This is why I love Paul. I expected him to explode and yell at me for not answering his (56) missed calls and replying to his 78 unread  text messages. He thought Grace did something to me and stuffed me inside the closed coffin. Anways, the truth is he guessed that  I was hallucinating again and Jake’s room is the one place he would definitely find me. I told him everything Jake told and waited for him to speak. “That’s it” I said once I finished. “Still processing” Paul said pointing at his forehead and we both sat on the window sill, in Jake’s room,  in deep thought while he whistled.  “You are disturbing us” I pointed out. “It’s my room” he retorted. “It’s your murder we are trying to solve” I snapped and then smiled wickedly. I loved beating Jake at his own game. No one could ever defeat him in an argument except me. “You both need to stop freaking me out!” Paul finally blurted. “Big guy here is freaked out?” Jake asked ,shocked. “Why are you freaked?” I asked ignoring Jake. “What’s not to freak about bitch?” Paul asked standing up.  “Did he just call you..how dare he? He is so dead” Jake said taking a step forward. “Relax, he says it  all the time” I say calmly. “That’s freaking me out!” Paul said pointing towards Jake. “Can you see him?” I asked slowly. “No! I can’t” he shouted. “You talk to walls and mirrors! You know how many scary movies we've seen and yet you do it in front of me” “does he want us to talk alone?” Jake asked with a sly smirk. “Could you just shut up?” I told him and held Paul by his shoulders and said “P, I know you don’t believe me. You just can’t imagine how it must be to see a ghost but I can see him and he needs my help. Our help” “Woah! When did I say that?” Jake asked quickly. “Jake is asking if you will please  help  him?” I asked Paul ignoring Jake again. “My turn to call you a bitch. Bitch” Jake said angrily. “Cheryl! Don’t show the puppy dog face” Paul warned. “Yeah,  it’s lame” Jake added. “he said something mean, didn’t he?” Paul asked and smiled at me. “We agree to help you Jake but only if you stop your sarcastic commentary” I said turning to face him.  “fine, whatever!” Jake mumbled . “What in the name of God is going on here?” Grace demanded barging into the room. The three of us stood before her like as if we were on freeze mode.