Chapter 8

“Cheryl” I heard someone call. “Cher” the same person was calling out to me again. “Damn it Cher, wake up already!” my head hurt. I didn’t want to open my eyes. I was afraid of what I might see. “Fine. We do it the hard way then” I felt pain on my face. Like as if something quick hit me. “Ow” I groaned. “Should’ve done that long back” that person said. That person was Paul. “Paul” I said opening my eyes wide. “Why the hell did you slap me?” I demanded. “because you weren’t waking up” he said and sat down beside me. Wait. Sat down? Last time I checked, I was standing. “What happened?” I asked sitting up. “You collapsed. When I got here with a glass of water you were on the ground” he said and helped me stand up. “My butt hurts” I said trying to gain my balance. “That small thing ? you’ll be fine” Paul joked. “Hey  My diet went too far alright! Drop it” I said in my defense.  “Sorry Cher. But it was fun slapping you” he said and sat next to me on the red couch. “What happened?” he asked with concern. “I don’t know. All I remember is hearing footsteps and someone talking about bringing the dead back. May be I was just hallucinating” I said weakly. “May be you’re just too tired of trying to stall for time” “What do you mean?” “May be you should see Jake now” Paul was right. It was time. “Let’s go say goodbye” I forced a smile and got up. We walked down the stairs and stopped when we reached the first floor. “Mrs. Wellings” I said flatly. “Much better” she said eyeing me from top to bottom. “I'm sorry, but we haven’t officially met. I’m Paul. Cheryl’s friend” Paul said stretching out his hand. “I'm sorry for your loss Mrs.Wellings” he said with a frown. “Please call me Grace” she said shaking his hand. “I have some guests to attend to. Please excuse me Paul” she said and flashed him a toothpaste advertisement smile.  “Somebody needs to remind her that her son is dead” I said in disgust. “Relax Cher. Do you want her to look  miserable and depressed?” Paul asked. I shook my head and we continued down the stairs. “The coffin is at the end of the living room” Paul said once we were among the crowd. “Let’s go” I said.  

                        There it was. The chocolate brown casket. It was a big one.  Once in high school, Jake and I imagined how our funerals would be. Our friends begging God to send us back because we were the life of the group, our parents telling all not cry but instead send us away with a big smile. We wanted people to speak good about us. Each and every guest. We loved being centre of attention back then. One thing I know for sure is that he never wanted his sister to come to his funeral in a bikini. I walked towards the casket. It was closed. It had two halves. One half could be opened only to see the face and then the other face revealed the body. Why was the casket closed? I pressed the lock and was about to pull open it but a hand pulled me back by the shoulder and I was staring into a pair of angry/annoyed eyes.  “What are you doing?” she demanded. “I want to see my friend” I stuttered. “Cheryl isn’t it?” she asked. “Yes” I replied. “Do not open the casket. It’s closed for a reason” “Wait, aren’t the lady who met me at the entrance earlier?” I asked suddenly remembering how extremely rude she was. “Yes” “Who are you?” I asked. I didn’t bother anymore if I sounded rude or ill-mannered.  “I'm Jenny. Their neighbor” “oh” is all I could say. “I'm sorry for being rude earlier Cheryl. It’s all the stress and work load of a funeral. I hope there is no problem between us” she said and smiled. “Of course not” I said and smiled back. After she was out of ear shot I turned and looked at the casket. “Cheryl, don’t do anything stupid” Paul warned. “What? I'm not gonna do anything” I said and smiled wickedly and continued “you are” .