Chapter 20

“You did what?!” Paul exclaimed and slapped my arm. “Could you please not do that? It hurts” I said rubbing my arm. “You are at a funeral Cheryl! You need to behave like a mourner” “I don’t feel like one” I said and leaned against the car. After William and I kissed, I insisted we get back to the house because it was a funeral after all and more over he was the dead body’s brother. “Then pretend like one. And by the way William was high an hour ago” “he was sad” “he was stoned” “almost” I said defending William. “Seriously? You're gonna argue with me on this?” Paul asked crossing his arms across his chest. “Let it go. It’s nothing serious” “it better not be Cher. Because if it is, that guy is bad news and don’t say I didn’t warn you” Paul advised. “Did you get the car fixed?” I asked walking over to the front and kneeling down to have a look at the tire. “Paul!” I yelled. “Yeah?” he asked causally standing beside me. “The tires are..s..s..slashed” I said touching them. “I know. Weird huh?” “did you leave baby alone and go somewhere?” “no Cheryl” “the tires weren’t slashed. I remember very clearly” I said rubbing my chin in deep thought. “Who did this?” I repeated over and over again. “I did! Okay, I did!!!” Paul yelled in irritation. “Calm down” I said standing up. “Why’d you hurt my baby you mean  person?” I asked hitting him as hard as possible. “Stop it” he said holding my hands tigtly. “We needed a reason to stay right? Now we got one. The garage closes as 4 Brittany said and it happens to be 4 thirty now” he said pointing at his watch. “Genius!” I explained hugging Paul.
           “I assume you are going stay until the funeral then?” Grace said uninterestingly after we told her a well cooked up story regarding the damage done to our car. “Well, the funeral is at 9 a.m. tomorrow, so yeah. I would be very grateful if you could let us stay until then” I said and smiled hopefully. “You speak like I have a choice” she said arrogantly and called out to William who was being condoled by some guests. “Son, take our guests to the vacant room” she said pointing to Paul and me. I smiled at Jake when he looked at me and he smiled back. “This way” he said and took my hand and pulled me forward. “Your room is on the first floor” he said as we walked up. “How many guests are staying here?” Paul asked . “None really” Jake replied. “So we’re the only ones here?” I asked Jake. “No Cher. The family of the deceased reside here too” Paul replied. I shot Paul a death glare then continued to walk behind Jake. “Here we are. Cheryl, you can use this room.  Paul isn’t it?” Jake asked as he turned to face us. “yeah” Paul replied. “I'll arrange a room for you buddy” “no  worries bro. I'll be here with Cheryl” Paul said and pushed past me into the room. I smiled at Jake and rushed inside. “Thanks” I said quickly and started to close the door. “Hey, wait” Jake said putting his hand on the door. “Yeah?” I asked holding it half open. “Um..could you please not tell Britt about what happened?” “what happened?” I asked, confused. “Between us” he said and raised his eyebrows. “Oh! Right, yeah. Sure. No problem” I said quickly and shut the door. “What the hell” I shouted marching towards Paul in anger. “You talking to me?” Paul asked whirling around. “Obviously. You are the only person besides me present here” “oh, I thought you were still talking to your little crush” he said sarcastically. “Did the world turn upside down after I kissed him? What is your problem?”  “he is not a good guy” “nobody is a good person Paul” “he has secrets” “we all do! So what?” I yelled. “”Nothing” he muttered and turned away. I stood before and demanded “spit it out” . “He killed Jake”.