Chapter 3

“Wakey wakey Cher” I heard Paul’s annoying alarm voice ring in my ears. “Go away pain” I grumbled. “We’re here” he said. The moment I heard his words I jumped up from seat. “We are?” I asked meekly. He nodded. I looked in the front and saw Jake’s house. Just the way it used to be. The red roof, the green lawn, the long uphill road that led to the entrance of the house. It wasn’t even a house really, it was like a mansion. I always wanted to live in this house forever. It was much better than an apartment at least. “Ready?” he asked starting the engine. “Yeah” I replied. Our 6 hours 17 minutes drive wasn’t very bad. I slept through it. Paul drove up till the parking lot which was at the side of the mansion. It also led to the back door of the house. “Cheryl” Paul shook me. “Yeah?” “You’re not breathing” he said with worry. “Sorry” I said shaking my head. Whenever I'm tensed or really afraid of something I suddenly hold my breath and forget to let it go.  I once read that you can’t die by holding your breath so I never bothered about this bad habit of mine. We walked up to the front door and I froze. “What is it?” Paul asked me holding my hand. “I'm scared” I admitted to him. “I know, and it’s completely okay. Now come on, your best friend is waiting for you to say goodbye” he said soothingly. “What…what if..I upset him?” I asked with fear. “Well, I' not sure about upset but I know he will be happy that you came” And that’s why Paul is my best friend. He just knows what to say. “Cheryl Goldsin” after 3 years I heard this voice. The fun loving voice was now a voice filled with pain. “Mrs. Wellings” I said and held Paul’s hand tighter. “Please, come on in” a lady from behind Jake’s mom gestured. I looked at Mrs. Wellings’ face and the hard look she was giving me. “Grace” the lady said sternly. “Come in” Mrs. Wellings said and walked away. “What’s up with her?” Paul whispered in my ear. I shrugged and stepped in. All the people in the house turned and stared at me. All were dressed in black and held a handkerchief. The old women seated at one corner cried in loud voices. Definitely they were hired actors because as far as I knew Jake, he hated old women. They always pulled his cheeks (no what matter what his age was). “Hello kids” the kind lady said once Jake’s mom was out of sight. “Sorry about that. She’s just shaken up that’s all” “I'm Cheryl Goldsin and this is my good friend Paul” Paul stretched out his hand but the lady stared at me from head to toe. “And that’s why she was shaken up” the lady said taking a step back. “What? Why?” I asked taking a step forward. She turned on her feet and walked away as fast as she could.  

          “You have made quite an impression” Paul says breaking the silence between. “I don’t get it P, I didn’t do anything” “may be they are pissed off at you because you turn up after 3 long years just to bury their son?” “I hate it when you are right” “better hearing it from me than someone else eh?” he asked and engulfed me in a hug. “Let’s go see him” Paul suggested. “No, I'm not ready yet” “Cher” he began but I stopped him. “Paul, please. It’s my best friend here” “I'm sorry Cher. You know what? Don’t let me keep you. You go meet the family okay? When you are ready we’ll go see him?” “I can’t just leave you . You don’t know anyone” “Oh please girl! Guys in black suits? I'm onto them!” he said and kissed me on my check. “Take care, text me if you need something” “don’t you wanna change?” I asked me before he let go of my hand. “I'm in a suit! What more to change?” he said and walked away.  “Oh my god!” I quickly turned behind only to find Jake’s uncle Matthew looking at me through his golden Gandhi glasses. “Hello uncle Matthew” I said extending my hand. “Oh honey!” he said grabbing me by the shoulders and hugging me. “Uncle Matthew” I said again stressing on the uncle part. “Please call me Matthew dear” he said and let go of me. “Do you remember me?” I asked hoping he would say no because then I could fake being somebody else. I don’t want one more family member of my dead best friend to hate me. “Of course! As the teens say nobody forgets their first love” he said and laughed. Is he for real? He is laughing while all the others are mourning? Is he out of his mind? “Are you okay uncle Matthew?” I asked him. “Never been better” he said and bowed. “May I escort the young lady?” he asked stretching out his hand. “Escort me where?” I asked taken aback. Did I miss something? Because I feel like I'm at a high school dance with old uncle Matthew. “To the coffin sweetie” he said and his smile faded. He was himself again. Thank God for that. “Um..I'm not ready yet” I said and looked around for Paul. “Well, I know how you can feel better” “but I'm fine” I insist. “No you’re not. Come on honey” he said and linked his arm with mine. Gross. Why the hell is he after me anyways!?  “Where are you taking me uncle Matthew?” I asked nervously. “The basement” he said and bobbed his head. “Why the basement?” If he turned out to be a psycho killer he better be aware that I'm not gonna be his willing victim. “You'll see” he said and didn’t talk anymore. People kept giving us weird looks probably because a 21 year oldwoman was arm in arm with a 70 year old man. “Watch your step” uncle Mathew cautioned as we walked down the small wooden stairs that led to a white door that was shut. “Go on, open it” he said and took a step behind. I turned the knob and pushed the door open. What the hell was going on here? A farewell party for Jake?  “Is this a farewell party?” I asked in astonishment. The room was packed with people in black drinking alcohol, couples crying and making out, a poodle peeing at one corner and the weirdest of all was every time they had a round of shots they shouted “To Jake! God bless him” . It was like our graduation party all over again! “Kind of. When the mourners can’t handle themselves anymore they come down here for a drag” “A drag? This place if filled with smoke like as if it is on fire” I coughed. I could never tolerate a person smoking. “Blend in, you will feel better” he advised and pushed me inside the room. “Matthew!” a young blonde girl called out hugging him. Now I know why he thinks he’s got the moves to impress young girls, all the drunken ones are falling on him! Seriously every one of them are wetting his suit with their tears. I'm not here for this. I'm here to see my best friend for the last time. I left the room and ran up the small stairs. I stopped dead in my tracks staring at a huge portrait of an old man in a grey suit. He had hair as white as snow and dimples. But his eyes were ice cold. He was staring at me. “Stop staring” I growled. “Didn’t mean to” a husky voice said. I froze. Was the portrait speaking to me? Did all the smoke from the basement take over me? Am I crazy now? “Cheryl” the voice said again and a hand tapped me on my shoulder.