Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

     “I look perfect don’t I?” she asked walking past me. “Well, yeah” I said and admired her long straight shiny blonde hair. “Mother said you were looking for me?” she asked spinning around. “Yeah, I need to change” I said looking at my crumpled jersey and blue jeans. “Sure, follow me” Brittany said walking towards one of the rooms and pushing open the door. “So, Brittany how is it that you ended up attending your brother’s funeral in a bikini?” I asked opening my small suitcase. “If you are trying to be bitchy, you are failing” she said and tossed her head. I cleared my throat and pulled out my black dress with a white waist belt. “Cute dress” Brittany said holding the lacey sleeves. “Thanks. But seriously, answer my question” “I was in Miami okay Sherlock? I went on a holiday with my friends and returned today morning after I got the news. My trip was supposed to end after two days but when mom called, I immediately caught the first flight” “So, you didn’t have time to even pull up a pair of jeans? You just ran to the airport after finishing your surf for the day?” I don’t know what had gotten into me but I couldn’t stop the words which were coming out of my mouth. I was furious. Why was nobody taking my friend’s death seriously? “You have no right to talk to me like that!” she yelled. “Britt it is my best friend’s funeral!” I yelled back. “ex- best friend” she pointed out and I clasped my mouth shut. She took advantage of my silence and started yelling at me again. “Didn’t you guys  break up? You wanna know why my mother hates you? Why everybody hates you except drunk uncle Matthew? Because you are the reason my brother was miserable and died. You are responsible at some point for what happened to him” “Britt I didn’t do anything! I haven’t spoken to him since my 18th birthday” I protested. “Oh cut the crap Cheryl Goldsin. I know the sad and depressing story. But since that day, my brother has been miserable” I knew she was holding back tears. Her face was red with rage. She flund open her suitcase, grabbed some clothes and made her way to the door. “You wanna know something? I'm glad he is dead. If he hadn’t died, I would’ve killed him myself” she shut the door with a loud thud once she was out.

Why did everyone want Jake dead? He wasn’t a monster. Why are they blaming his death on me? I never hurt him so much. I didn’t. I know I didn’t. Or….did I?