Chapter 18

“What happened?” she asked with concern engulfing Britt in a bear hug. “What did you say to her?” Grace demanded shooting me an angry look. “I said nothing” “it’s not her fault. Seeing Jake’s stuff makes me miss him” Britt said wiping her face. “Oh honey” Grace said stroking Britt’s hair. “I miss you too Britt” Jake said and looked at his mother hug his sister. I moved closer to Jake. “I'm okay” he whispered. “Liar! Pants on fire” I whispered back.  He smiled and then poof! He was gone.

        “So…now what?” Paul asked once Grace practically pushed us out of the room and shut the door firmly. “We leave” I said sadly. I didn’t want to leave Jake wandering around in a house full of mourners. But there is nothing I can do. “I'll get the bags” Paul suggested. “I'll wait near the car” I said but before I could go Paul stood in front of me with both his hands on my shoulders and said “Cheryl, you tried. See how tough it was interrogating one person. How the hell would you interrogate the whole family? He is going to be buried tomorrow, there is no way you would’ve found his killer in such less time” “I thought I would be able to do it! Make Jake proud. Help him find peace” I said and hugged Paul tightly. “You tried” he said hugging me back. I knew Paul’s coat was soaked by now but  I just couldn’t stop my tears. “Stop crying Cher” Paul said as I pulled away. “I'm fine. You get the bags and meet me outside” I said and wiped my face frantically. I walked as fast as I could. When I reached downstairs I ignored the people crying over Jake’s body, I ignored the coffin, I ignored uncle Matthew, I ignored the portrait of the old happy man which was on every floor and almost every corner of the house. I walked across the green lawn, went to the back of the house where cars were parked and started looking for my car. After I spotted it, I leaned against it and waited for Paul. When he appeared before me with the bags in his hands, he looked at me then at the car and back again at me. “What?” I asked in confusion. “I know you wanna stay back but did you do that?” he said dropping the bags to the ground and bending down on one knee. “Did what Paul?” I asked frustrated. “This” he said pointing to the flat tire. “I didn’t see that” I said staring at it. Paul raised an eyebrow .“Don’t look at me like I'm a criminal” I said and picked the bags. “What are you doing?” he asked catching up with me. “I guess we have no other option but to wait till it’s fixed” “I can fix it, so can you. It’s just one tire” “look carefully” I said pointing to the car. “It’s four”

            “Why would someone do that?” Paul said walking towards the front tire. “All are punctured P. What’s there to see?” I groaned. Paul was ruining my happy moment. I was more than happy actually that I would get to stay till my tires got fixed. “The tires will be fixed soon” William said standing next to me. “Your bags are back where they were before” “thanks Will” “you guys better come inside. It’s blowing out here. Come on man” Will said to Paul. “I'll see you guys inside” he said and stared at the tires. “He loves my baby” I said and smiled at Will. “your baby?” he asked as we started walking towards the house.  “He won’t get peace till my car is fixed” “oh. I don’t mind if you wait until tomorrow. I've hardly spoken to you” “well the last time we spoke, you announced that your brother had risen and then you collapsed” I said and laughed. “I'm really sorry for that. I need to stop going in the basement” “yeah..maybe you should. I like you much better this way” Will smiled at me and stopped walking. “What’s wrong?” I asked. “Do you trust me?” “no” “that was too quick Cheryl” he said shyly. I laughed and then asked “why?” “will you come with me?” “are we playing question me or something?” “will you come with me?” he asked again. “I know karate” I said. “Thanks for the warning, I'll take that as a yes” he said and stretched his hand out. I took his hand and started walking with him in the opposite direction from where we were headed.