Chapter 25

Uncle Mathew suggested we talk in the library, but I've been to that place so many times in a day, I was sick of it. “How about the back?” I asked. “No, it’s a parking lot until tomorrow. But we can sit on the lawn which faces the house. No one will disturb us. After all it’s a young man and woman just talking” he said and gave me a big smile.  “Absolutely right uncle Mathew” I said absent mindedly. Poor guy’s big smile faded in less than a second.  I stepped out of the kitchen with uncle Mathew close behind me. In five  seconds I sensed ten types of alcohol. How much did he have to drink  since morning, I wondered.  “Where are you both off to?” Grace asked coming in sight. “Cheryl had some questions” uncle Mathew began but I nudged him in the ribs and smiled at Grace. She definitely saw that. “Questions? Regarding what?” “oh my little sister, why are you asking so many questions? Cheryl hasn’t met me for so long.  She misses uncle Mathew” I was surprised when he said ‘uncle’ but at least he came to my rescue. “Yes, that’s what we were going to do. Catch up” I said and smiled. Grace gave me the ‘oh please’ look. “Hey Mathew” a man in a grey suit called out. “Be right back ladies” he said and left me alone with Grace. “I better go look for Paul. He doesn’t know anyone here” I said and started moving but Grace held my arm and pulled me back. “He knows Brittany . She won’t leave him alone” I smiled at Grace. What could I possibly talk to her about? “Look at you two” I whirled around and found Jake waving at me. I waved back and mouthed “save me”. “Cheryl, are you  alright?” “yes” I said turning around. “Now, I'm asking you again nicely. What questions?” “I told you” “no Cheryl. You didn’t tell me anything” “uncle Mathew and I are catching up” “oh wow! What a great time to catch up. My  son’s coffin is not very far from where we are standing at the moment. It’s in this very room and you are catching up? Have you completely lost it?” “you do realize you have drawn almost everybody’s attention, right?” Jake asked standing beside me. I looked at all the mourners behind Grace. Jake was right, Grace was too loud.  “Grace, I'm sorry but we'll talk later. Get back to fake mourning” I said and pulled her hand off my arm. “Excuse me!” she explained. I didn’t stop. I was almost out the door but a voice stopped me. “Cheryl wait” I didn’t turn. Why are people so eager to stop me! “What is going on here?” it was their neighbor  Jenny. I Looked over Jenny’s head  at Grace and said “nothing”.

 I stomped out of the house and stood in the porch. I breathed in the afternoon breeze and walked towards uncle Mathew who was seated in one of the white chairs on the lawn. “What took you so long?” “your sister cares a lot about me” “I'm glad you take it that way” he said and laughed. “Can we begin? Please?” “what’s the hurry? If it’s your friend Pete” “Paul” I corrected. “right. If you’re your friend Paul, he is being looked after  by-” “Brittany, I know” . “So, you have nothing to worry about” “that’s exactly what I'm worried about” I said to myself. “Have a seat” uncle Mathew said and poured me a glass of water. “Thank you” .
 “What do you want to know Cheryl?” “well, you said Jake was diagnosed. What had happened to him?” “the day before your 18th birthday, in the morning he woke up early, had breakfast and was going back up to his room but collapsed on the stairs. He was immediately rushed to hospital. There the doctor said that something unusual  that went inside his stomach along with his food . There could be a  possibility that he was poisoned”  “Poisoned? But his cook loved him” I said in confusion. “I never mentioned anything about the cook” “did you ever find out who did it?” “no. All were too busy stopping Jake from going to see you in New York” “he was perfectly fine when he arrived” I said trying to recollect how exactly had he looked that night. Then I remembered. Perfect. He looked perfect. Black suit, white shirt, blue tie and spiked hair. It was one of my favorite looks. I love people in suits. “Yeah. Lisa took great care of him the whole night and helped him pack. She couldn’t make it so she insisted that Grace accompany Jake” “oh yeah, I remember Grace being there” “you remember Lisa?” “very well. I hadn’t met the girl but she had called to wish me” “then, how do you know her very well?” “Grace and I had a moment”  “since we have already started, why don’t you tell me something too?” “like what?” “Grace never mentioned any moment with you” “by moment I meant a ‘talk’” “was it serious?” “basically she wanted me to stop keeping Jake from Lisa. That’s how I remember her” “this is interesting. Go on” uncle Mathew said curiously. I took a deep breath, leaned behind and began “Well, during the party Jake kept texting Lisa which was kind of annoying to all the other guests who were waiting for him to dance, join them in playing spin the bottle, shots and stuff like that. They kept complaining that he was sucking the life out of the party.
*Flashback*
  “Will you keep that phone of yours down?” I said, with my hands on my waist and tapping my foot repeatedly.  “Last text to Lisa” he said gripping his phone tightly. “You said that ten minutes ago” I whined. “It’s my birthday Jake” “happy birthday” he said and half hugged me. “Get off” I commanded pushing him away and snatching his phone. “Hey!” “sorry but my guests don’t like seeing you ruin the party” “oh come on Cheryl! You are the one ruining it. Go have fun” “I never have fun. We have fun” “don’t drop the emotional bomb on me” he said and reached for his phone. “I swear I'll drop it down” I said stretching my hand out. My birthday bash was on the rooftop of  a very popular hotel  which meant if by any chance I dropped his phone down, it would break into 1000 pieces. “Okay, okay. I won’t text anymore. Now please can I have my phone?” he pleaded with his hands up in the air. “You wasted 2 hours being glued to your phone” I reminded him.  “Fine! But only because it’s your birthday” he said and after a lot of huffing and puffing, knelt down with his hands joined. “Hey Chuck!” I called out to my friend who was the photographer for tonight. “Got it” he said swinging  his camera. “Here you go” I said tossing the phone back to Jake.  “I regret gifting you that camera bro” Jake said as he stood up. “ten other people snapped the picture as well, so if you were thinking of taking your gift back, drop the idea” Chuck said and we all laughed while Jake frowned. “Come on now you two! It's time to P-A-R-T-Y!!!” my friends screamed.  “Cheryl” Grace said pushing through the crowd. “Yes Mrs. Wellings?” I asked politely. “I need to talk to you about something important” Jake whispered to me. “Jake go on, Cheryl will join you in a minute” Grace said patting him gently on the back. he looked at me, I smiled and said “go” and then he left. I looked at Grace Wellings. So poised, so elegant. She was one of the finest women I knew.

“Cheryl, what I'm  going to say shouldn’t hurt you in any way. I know it’s your birthday and this day should be the best” she said worriedly. “Mrs. Wellings please be loud and clear. I won’t mind” “that’s what you are saying now but-” “just say it” obviously she didn’t get the hint. I wanted to dance with my crazy friends and enjoy my party. Jake kept looking at me and signaled  to quit the conversation immediately.  Believe me, that’s exactly what I was going to do but Grace said something which made my heart skip a beat. In a bad way. “Stop controlling Jake”.