Chapter 25

"How'd you get here?" I sniffle, wiping my face and peeling myself away from my father's grave. Jake wraps me up in a hug and suddenly, I take back my mom's hug ever meaning something to me. I thought that maybe she cared about me, it was a thin sliver of hope, and I actually fell for it.

I wish I was back in school, studying for my career, getting drunk at parties. It kept me from thinking about how I was lonely. Not that my writing was a good career. I kinda sucked at it. Maybe dad was right about me being a doctor, I am better at that.

"I gave your mother a peice of my mind, Harrison thought you'd be at your hometown, so I had Maggie drive me." He says, stroking my hair. I whimper as he holds me to his chest. "I wish I could've been a better son..."

Jake grabs my face with both of his hands and shakes his head. "You are perfect. I don't think there's anyone out there who is as perfect as you." He says, wiping tears off my face. "You should've brought your phone, you could've gotten hurt, baby. I'm glad I found you."

Again, I feel like he lectures me. It seems like he's trying to help, but it feels like I'm getting in trouble. "I'm sorry..." I say. He smiles. "I was scared. You were crying last night and trying to ignore your feelings, which I understand, but it's not very healthy and-"

"I get it, okay? I was stupid. Can we just go home?" I snap, regretting it when I look at his wide eyed expression. He nods solemnly and I feel my heart break. I hate my short fuse, my little temper due to being lectured all my life.

Maggie is waiting in her car along with Harrison who mustve given directions to this stupid town. For Haz, it's filled with good memories, but for me, I want to get away. My wedding is going to be ruined because my family wont be there.

"Jesus Christ, Tom! You scared the hell out of us!" Harrison says. I shrug off his hand that was supposed to comfort me. I can't belive I payed a taxi to come out here for nothing.

Arriving home was a good/bad feeling. I just wanted my family but nothing ever works as planned. My brothers wont be there even if they wanted to. I have nobody to walk me down the aisle, I want that. I want to have a stupid wedding. I want the cake and the champange and the dancing.

I just wish I could've been straight or something.

____________

We decided to just go to the courthouse and get married, there was no need for a celebration. I still haven't met my own HUSBANDS parents.

"Welp... we're married." Jake says, trying to cheer me up as I flop down on the curb in the parking lot. I stare at the asphault between my feet. "Yeah..."

Jake puts a hand on my shoulder. "Come on, we're husbands... you should be happy-"

"I know. I know that I should be happy. I am. I just wish it was... how I thought it would be." I say, breathing heavily. He frowns. "Come on, stop fucking moping. We just got married and the only thing you can do is complain." Jake says, shaking his head.

I stare at him and he sighs. "Sorry." He tells me. He sits beside me. "I thought you would be happy that you had me at least." He says, a deep frown settling on his face, making him look his age. I lay my head against him.

"I am..." I say, looking up to meet his deep blue eyes. He leans down, pressing a soft kiss to my lips. "Then smile. It's our big day." He says, cupping my face to give me another kiss. I smile against his lips. "I'm super sorry." I tell him.

"Its okay." He laughs. I snuggle against him, over looking the parking lot. "I love you." He says, poking my side.

"I love you, too... husband."