chapter thirteen

after Michael and Luke got out from school the next day, Michael turned to Luke as they were seated in the car.
"so do you think that we should check to see if my mom is home?"

Luke nodded and shrugged, his features soft.
"if you want to."

Michael bit his lip, he couldn't help but be worried about her. he could never trust that she'd be safe, she really didn't know how to take care of herself anymore.
"we probably should."

"but I mean, if you need to stay longer- I don't have any problem with it. I like our make out sessions." Luke smiled at a blushing Michael, and then started driving.

the tired fought with the gravel at a light with construction, and the crunching sounds mixed with Luke drumming on the steering wheel. Luke hummed, all while hearing a soft,
"me too." slip out of Michael's mouth.

Luke grinned and moved one hand to grab Michael's, not thinking it through very much, just wanting some sort of contact.

when they pulled up to Michael's house, Michael frowned.

he knew that his mom would be home by now, and it would be an understatement to say that he didn't want to go home. yet, he was worried about her and he'd like to believe that she was at least slightly concerned for him.

Luke obviously noticed his negative mood, and turned to him,

"baby. what's wrong? do you still want to check?"

Michael shook his head,
"it's fine. thank you for driving me home and letting me stay with you, it was fun."

Michael could practically hear Luke smile, he didn't even have to look at him.
"anytime, I loved having you over. it made things a lot less boring." Michael weakly smiled, not believing him, and Luke continued. "well, if she's home then I'll put your stuff from my house in my car tomorrow and you can take it inside tomorrow after school when I drive you home."

"okay, thank you. please tell your mom I said thank you again."

Luke nodded and leaned over and kissed Michael lightly on the cheek, and Michael moved so that their lips connected.  Luke felt the spark he always feels when he kissed Michael, and he felt Michael melt into the kiss.

they stayed like this for a few moments, their lips moving in sync, before Michael pulled away.
"I'll see yyou tomorrow, Michael. text me okay? I really do love you." Luke said these worse quietly but they were sincere; Luke never knew if he was going to see Michael the next day or not and that scared Luke. it fucking terrified him.

Michael nodded, his eyes still locked to the floor, before mumbling a quiet, "I'll text you."

he slipped out of the car, walking unsteadily up to the front door of his house. he pulled the loose black key from his pocket, and slipping it in the door. he took a deep breath before opening it up all the way, slipping the key back into his pocket.

as he started to make his way up the stairs he heard obnoxious screaming from his very drunk mother.

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HOME SO LATE?" she walked up, approaching Michael directly, standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at him.

Michael stuttered on for a moment, his hands shaking.
"I had to uh- pee at school, I got out late. sorry."

"WELL YOU BETTER HURRY UP NEXT TIME, DUMBASS."

"when did you get home?" his eyes were locked on the floor, trying to control his body shaking.

"this morning." she rolled her eyes at him, obviously not even knowing how badly she was slurring her words. "did you get anyone else arrested like you did your father? did you try to take anyone else away from me? THE ONLY PERSON THAT I WOULDNT CARE IF I LOST, IS YOU!"

Michael shuddered and sat on the steps, curling in on himself. "sorry."

"you're not fucking sorry. GO UPSTAIRS!" she spit in his direction before walking back into the kitchen.

Michael nodded, but his head was pounding and he had to sit there for a few moments. his mind was racing now and he gripped his hair harshly as tears were pouring from his eyes, they never seemed to stop. he couldn't control his trembling.

it was the kind of trembling that you have when you are outside in the snow for too long and you've been wearing shorts. it's the kind of trembling where you almost feel like you can't breathe.

he didn't understand this, it was all so sudden. he was genuinely worried about his mother- even when she left him. so when he came inside, he really didn't expect to be put down like this.

•••

after he found a way to breathe so that he could stand up, he slowly walked upstairs and into his room.

when he got in there, he crawled under his black comforter, laying for hours, crying until he ran out of tears, eventually falling asleep, blaming himself for everything.

author's note:

that was shit, I'm sorry.

1k READS OMG! :)

PLS KEEP VOTING/COMMENTING IT HELP ME FEEL HAPPIER

ily guys & thank you for reading.

another chapter for Luke's side of it should be soon.

dedicated to @HugglesWithMikey bc constant voting & they read two different stories of mine. :)

-jasmine :)