asylumㅡ fifty

Days have passed and the sisters are now allowed to stay at home after a while of observation.

  They're starting to talk, to show reactions and even start up conversations but they're still distant- and the rest can feel that.

  It's as if an invisible wall is built around them and it obstructs people from getting too close.

  "What do you want to eat, dear?"

  Xing looks up from the table at her mother's question. "Asian cuisine?"

  "Oh, well that's general but, I think I can chooㅡ"

   "Western?" Mei Xing interrupts- eyes staring back at the table. "Pasta? Or rice?"

  Tung Mei observes her daughter who is suddenly, quiet when she abruptly stands- looking at her.

  Mei Xing shakes her head. "I'm not hungry."

  Her footsteps fade as they further and the sound of a door clicking close is heard.

  "Are you okay, dear?" Their father walks into the kitchen to see his wife with her hand on her temple, covering her eyes.

  She exhales a breath. "Yes, I'm fine."

  "I know, you're worried about the girls but, we have to be patient. The doctor said that it'll take a while and if there's anything wrong, we can always go to him," he comforts- embracing his wife in his arms and gently sways from side to side.

  Tung Mei smiles faintly and nods. "Thank you, I needed that. I'm so glad you're here."

  Her husband scoffs smugly. "I know, right. I'm glad I'm here too, I'm amazing."

  She rolls her eyes. "If I weren't here, you'd probably be sewn on the couch, eating uncooked ramen all day and cry about how lonely you are."

  "You think so," he argues.

  "I know so," Tung Mei challenges before being shut up by a gentle smooch.

  "I win! Sucks to be you, troll!" He cheers and makes his escape before a spatula smacks him in the face.

  Light laughs are made by his wife who's reminding herself that she's the luckiest woman in the world to marry such an idio- uH, gentleman.

  Stars twinkle faintly in the night sky and roads are empty as they are cold.

  The Shin household is also, silent with the members all laid in their beds- sleeping.

  Except, for Mei Zhen who's still wide awake and engrossed in staring at the boring white ceiling of her shared bedroom.

  She shifts her gaze to her sisters who are peaceful on their beds before focusing on their closed window.

  The curtains wave softly from the surrounding air and she covers herself with the blanket- closing her eyes.

  A knock and creak are heard before faint, almost imperceivable footsteps follow.

  Zhen flutters her eyelids open and turns to the curtains that are now moving in big waves as the freezing air from the open window blows into the room. 

  Her sisters' beds are now vacant.

  She slowly sits up and turns her head to their bedroom door- smiling at the figure standing there.

  The figure nears her and puts out their hand.

  Mei Zhen's eyes glint and she accepts before the two jump onto the tree out the window and hop onto the street.

  "I missed you too, puddin'!" Xing's bubbly voice erupts and Zhen looks at both her sisters who are with their partners- the other brothers also, present.

  Zhen turns to Renjun who's brushing a stray strand of hair away from her face- her lips upturn.

  "Who's first?"

  Renjun reciprocates with a sinister smile of his own and slips out a perilous thin blade.
"You choose."

- finir -